Air Bag Codes - 97 Sable (taurus) wagon

Hi.

I have a 97 Mercury Sable LE wagon.

My airbag light is flashing 33 (or 34? I'll have to check). From what I can tell this means a low resistance or shorted driver or passenger side sensor? A couple of questions.

If I'm not worried about the airbag NOT deploying, is this condition dangerous?

Can the airbag deplay accidentally under normal operation and does this code add to the possibility?

Any real good reason to have this diagnosed and fixed? Or is it ok to just live with it?

Thanks for all advice and help. Replies here or by email greatly appreciated.

Rich ( snipped-for-privacy@ntplx.net)

Reply to
Rich

Well, aside from the piffling fact that this is a safety device and could save someones life if it's in working order - no... No reason at all to fix it... especially if it's your spouse or your child sitting in the seat next to you....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Rich... anything you may say to me can be done in THIS venue... no need for private messages... My own preference is for no uninvited personal messages....

My original reply stands.... safety devices are safety devices... there is not much more to be said....

You stand a greater chance of being personally injured if you "tinker" with the system with no knowledge of it's operation or design. The manufacturers have made every attempt to be sure that an airbag will not deploy unintentionally... but your 97 is old technology. These systems can be at the mercy of natural elements that could affect the operation... "old" SRS systems are a relatively new phenomenon.... We are still in the process of building the knowledge base on "airbags + old age"

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, I am sorry, I didn't mean to private message you, I thought I was posting here. I just noticed the "reply to group" button in outlook express, I think I used the "reply" button before. My apologies.

I don't have any intention of messing with the SRS system myself, I was just looking for some comfort that I can "safely" ignore the "34" code on the airbag without risk of accidental deployment. I understand that the occupants may be at more risk without an airbag than with (sort of like driving 20 years ago, no? I just wanted confirmation that it is not a "dangerous" situation from the point of view of vehicle operation or accidental deployment. I will probably get it fixed by a competent mechanic when funds allow, along with a heater core that is spotty in operation but not leaking. I am in south Texas right now and have no need for heat, but may be back in New England this winter and then something will have to be done. I really like the car other than its few idiosyncrasies (like a drivers window whose motor has a bad spot that intermittently sticks the window all the way open and outside mirrors designed to break rather than flip away).

On that related point, do you know if the heater core is involved at all in the air conditioning operation (controls, linkages, etc) or it is just for heat? I think i could probably change it myself if it needs changing, loosening the dashboard if need be. Is it possible to just bypass the core with a tubing connector on the hoses in front of the firewall and some clamps and drive the car with the heater core out while I check it out?

Thanks so much for your help. I hope this posts to the group and not privately.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Also, I thought I read somewhere in an FAQ on the SRS systems that if the codes are flashing the system will not deploy. Can you confirm this?

Reply to
Rich