Air Bag light blinks?

1991 Ford Crown Victoria, 5L The air bag light blinks 9 times ... pauses ... blinks 9 times ... etc. My wife said it has been doing it for some time ... The technician caught it ... would not pass inspection. Someone told me that it probably needs servicing ... sounds like $$$ ?? comments please?
Reply to
BobC

Code 9 comes up as a "open forward crash sensor deployment circuit" Start by making sure its plugged in and check for broken wires.

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
BobC

I have a brake warning light that does not work (another post) ... This further indicates an electrical problem ... I suppose I could have a connector loose ??? I just had the instruments out and checked all the bulbs, so I just replugged the connectors on the back of the instruments.

I haven't a clue as to where all the stuff is for the air bags ... not even the 'electronic diagnostic monitor' that it mentioned.

The Haynes manual warned me to disconnect the battery when working on the dash ... so I did.

Brad wrote:

Reply to
BobC

Look either on the firewall or front radiator support for a little metal box with an arrow facing forward. Take it off and check connections. CLean the metal around where the box mounts to make a good ground. The last time i had 9 blinks on my Taurus it took a replacement air bag diagnostic module to fix.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Reply to
BobC

If its like a taurus, its behind the glove box on the passenger side. It will be in a blue module. Yes, there not cheap. I got mine out of a junker.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Reply to
BobC

If your working on the bags, disconnect the battery and wait an hour before you start connecting and disconnecting things to be safe. The older air bag units had a back up supply that would power the bags for awhile.

You will NOT find air bag info in an after market manual. The factory shop manual is the only place to get any information. Look on Ebay.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Reply to
BobC

Speaking of manuals. There are 3 important manuals for your car. A quick Ebay search for "1991 Ford Manual" and "1991 EVTM" came up with these.

  1. 7973060172 and 7973456554 are Body\Chassis\Electrical and Powertrain manuals and will have diag information on the SRS system. This is the basic "shop" manual.
  2. You would also benefit from an Electrical\Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, or EVTM, which has wiring diagrams, component locations, and switch pinout tests. There don't appear to be any on Ebay right now for your CV. The 1992 EVTM should be very close for everything except the engine, here's one: 7972764090.
  3. 6960028839 is an Engine\Emissions Diagnosis manual, also called Volume H. Lots of information for finding drivability concerns, etc. Contains trouble code charts and pinpoint tests along with a lot of other info.

If you plan to keep the car, these 3 manuals are the best money you can spend for your car. That's assuming you plan to do your own work.

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I found a round plastic box(approx 3" dia by approx 2" deep)located on the top center of the firewall ... with a single wire coming from it. Could that be the forward crash sensor?

Bob Urz wrote:

Reply to
BobC

Does it have a arrow pointing forward on the top of it? How many wires are on the connector and the end of the wire? The ones i have seem are in metal cans.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

I could not find an arrow. It has a single wire/connector going to it.

Bob Urz wrote:

Reply to
BobC

Reply to
BobC

Greed. That fellow always starts his manuals at 39.99, and they usually don't sell. $40 isn't really bad though, an original from Helm is ~$150. I just put that one in my reply because it was there on Ebay.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thanks! ... My most urgent problem is understanding and resolving the problem with the blinking air bag light. At the moment, I have not located even located the 'forward crash sensor' or the 'airbag diagnostic module'!

I am an electrical engineer ... NOT a automobile mechanic ... I have rebuilt a couple transmissions, one engine, and tinkered a lot ... my expertise in electronics.

I work well from schematics, etc. Is there a particular book that I should concentrate on getting? If we keep the car, I plan on getting all three +

Thanks Aga> BobC wrote:

Reply to
BobC

Start with the Body\Chassis\Electrical manual. It contains all of the info on the SRS except the wiring diagram. Take the plastic panel between the header panel (grille) and the radiator. IIRC the foreword crash sensor is down in there somewhere.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Reply to
BobC