air bag sensor

The air bag light in my 1991 Grand Marquis is flashing - 9 flashes then a pause, 9 nine more flashes and so on. My research indicates that this code
means that the centre air bag sensor is faulty. My Ford dealer reached the same conclusion after diagnostic testing.
A new sensor costs about $900 Cdn. I can purchase a used sensor at a wrecker for about $100 Cdn. Installing the sensor seems simple enough but I am afraid of setting of the air bag.
Any help, recommendations, or guidance any of you could give would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

You're a brave man if you attempt to work with any airbag stuff.
Although, I suppose if you pull the battery and then verify the connections are open with an ohm meter before reconnecting, you should be fine.
I like the fix for my old clunker that has the same issue. Black electrical tape over the cluster panel. I tried yanking the light, but that causes some warning chime to go off.
Unless your 91 is in very nice shape, I'd be hard pressed to make this repair.
Bob Twynam wrote:

Maybe bad , maybe not. Unhook it and check its connections. Clean the mount area with fine sandpaper or such and put it back together and see if the codes change. I had 9 blinks on my taurus and it turned out to be the air bag diagnostic modules. I changed the sensor, no change. Swapped it for a salvage one. No change. I changed the diagnostic computer. Then it went back to normal. If you have any u pull yards in your neck of the woods, you need to pay them a visit and scavenge a sensor and a diagnostic module. The only information your going to find to help you is in the factory shop manual. And be sure to unhook the battery for an hour before working on it to be safe.
Bob