air conditioning

Is it true that they sell freon "over the counter" so to speak so that you can do it at home. I have a 1998 Ford Escort and my air conditioner isnt working. I dont believe it to be a leak. (how do you check for that too?) I was wondering if i could do it meself

Thanks Jeremy

Reply to
jeremy martin

if it doesn't leak, you don't need to add freon. Why not spend the $29 and let an expert Auto AC technican diagnois your AC dilemma.

Reply to
Im Right

Get a good mechanic to certify that you don't have a leak before you refill your freon. I had a mechanic refill mine once because I thought that there was no leak. There was, and it leaked out again after two days.

Reply to
Good Driving1

Reply to
The Bathtub Admiral

I beleive it's now a matter of federal law that you cannot wrok on an R-12 a/c system without proper freon recovery equipment. To do so without this equipment you would be violation of Fed. law and face a nasty fine. Beter to take a dealership or mobile refridgeration shop, and have them mess with it.

Reply to
tmvs

All cars manfactured after 1994 have R-134a and anybody can install that type of freon. And they do sell freon over the counter . If the heater still works then the fan blower is not defective. You can buy a couple of cans of freon and a hose to install for about 25 to 30 bucks. The compressor will not come on if low on freon.

-- javatek?@usa.com

Reply to
Redd