air conditioning

Is it true that they sell freon "over the counter" so to speak so that you can do it at home. I have a 1998 Ford Escort and my air conditioner isnt
working. I dont believe it to be a leak. (how do you check for that too?) I was wondering if i could do it meself
Thanks Jeremy
if it doesn't leak, you don't need to add freon. Why not spend the $29 and let an expert Auto AC technican diagnois your AC dilemma.
: Is it true that they sell freon "over the counter" so to speak so that you : can do it at home. I have a 1998 Ford Escort and my air conditioner isnt : working. I dont believe it to be a leak. (how do you check for that too?) I : was wondering if i could do it meself : : : Thanks Jeremy : : :

Get a good mechanic to certify that you don't have a leak before you refill your freon. I had a mechanic refill mine once because I thought that there was no leak. There was, and it leaked out again after two days.
Not if you want it done right. You usually need to find the leak or problem then if it involves component replacement you need to find out what caused the problem in the 1st place (ie burnet compressor clutch) will require diagnosing why it went. If a recharge is involved you need to draw a complete (or near complete) vacuum to purge the system of air and perhaps moisture, again a proper shop will know if the receiver drier needs to be replaced depending on how much charge is left. If component replacement is required then the shop will have to perform a system flush to rid it of any debris and contaminants. You will also have to add the proper type and weight of refrigerant oil. All in all its probably best to leave it to a competent shop who has the skills, expertise and tools to do the job right the 1st time and make a lasting repair.

I beleive it's now a matter of federal law that you cannot wrok on an R-12 a/c system without proper freon recovery equipment. To do so without this equipment you would be violation of Fed. law and face a nasty fine. Beter to take a dealership or mobile refridgeration shop, and have them mess with it.

All cars manfactured after 1994 have R-134a and anybody can install that type of freon. And they do sell freon over the counter . If the heater still works then the fan blower is not defective. You can buy a couple of cans of freon and a hose to install for about 25 to 30 bucks. The compressor will not come on if low on freon.
-- javatek?@usa.com
remove the ? to reply.