Air controls for a 96 Escort....

It looks like the person who had this car before me ruined the air controls while installing a stereo. The temp control lever is completely loose inside the housing. I think the whole unit needs to be replaced.
Questions: Do I need any special tools to get it out, I noticed there is a key of some sort that is used to hold the cables in a postion? Is this a part that I can get at a parts store or dealership? Would I be better off going to a junk yard? Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance