All-wheel ABS question re: ABS warning light on

Hi all,

I recently acquired a used ford econoline van, with all-wheel ABS, and the ABS warning light was on.

I was told that the light was on only because the van had recently had an emissions test performed, in which they only spin the drive wheels, and I was told that this confuses the ABS computer, and this is why the warning light was on.

Does this make sense? Has anyone heard of this?

Is there an easy way to reset the warning light if this is the case?

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Mavis Tilden

I haven't heard of this. It sort of makes sense, but the light should go out after driving it for several miles.

I did google and google groups search. Didn't find anything.

You should be able to disconnect the batter for about 30 sec. and reconnect it.

Look at the sticker for the emissions. Was the test recent?

I have a feeling that the emissions test and the ABS light are not related and the old van owner should fix the ABS brakes.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Out of curiosity, what year is your van?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Hi,

The Van is year 2000.

Thanks,

Reply to
Mavis Tilden

To test the "computer confusion" theory, disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour and then reconnect it. I doubt this is the issue however.

Bad sensor or blocked sensor (covered with muck/mud/grease) is a very common problem.

Reply to
Mark

Hi,

Yeah ... I've tried disconnecting the battery, for about four or five hours, but that didn't clear it.

Someone else told me that on import cars, this will clear on its own, but with American cars, it has to be manually reset.

Seems weird though ...

Thanks,

Reply to
Mavis Tilden