alternate ideas

I have an '86 T-bird (only 63K miles). Had a wild idea and wondered if anyone has tried it. Has anyone ever tried to use motor oil (new or old) in the cooling system instead of water + antifreeze ? Here's the logic,
oil inherently would be non-corrosive to the pump, radiator, and engine block. It should likely do better (flow) under very cold conditions, eliminate sticky thermostates, and perhaps not need changing nearly as often. Oil operates under the exact same temperature conditions as standard coolant mix (though under comparatively higher pressure in the cranckcase). No more corrosion at hose junctions as well. I know the thermal characteristics are different (likely hotter) but my engine runs very cold in cold weather which causes very poor fuel economy. How 'bout it ?
Aside from the fact that the oil would attack any rubber components in the cooling system.... Even the thinnest of motor oils would be too thick to pump through the the radiator and heater cores in cold weather. While one of motor oils purposes is to remove heat from internal areas of the motor, it's thermal efficiency is nowhere near as good as proper coolant mixture. It is doubtful that oil could absorb heat from combustion chamber and cylinder wall areas quickly enough to prove satisfactory.

Great feedback guys ! ...thanks! You hit the points that I wondered about but just wasn't sure. As far as the brake fluid suggestion, maybe some day when I don't care if I ruin something. I guess oil is just too thick afterall. Maybe if they eliminate the rubber hoses and pump seals, modify the radiator, we might have a new idea for designers. Watch out the age is coming: 400hp electric motors, low cost fuel cells, the old cumbustions could be taboo in 10 years.
http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id WordsMustang is a very good start.... One friend of mine switched to all synthtic lubes to save gas mileage... Next, he changed tires and adjusts the pressures religioulsly... waxes the car often, changes the air filter daily. He's saved so much in gas mileage that he has to stop every 200 miles to siphon his tank out to keep it from overflowing.
I even have testimonials....
Hugh Jorgen in Pittsburg says "Works for me!!!".
Mike Hunt in Poughkeepsee says "I can't believe it's not buddah...".
BillyJoeRayJohnBubba in the trailer park says "Uncle Dad`has used it fer yeerz...".
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:28:49 -0500, "mech-mike"

Oil...rubber seals, hoses, gaskets... Not an ideal combination
If you like the oil cooling idea the original VW beetle was pretty much an oil/air cooled engine.
Perhaps for your idea Brake fluid might be a better alternate ;-)
Not saying that I'd do it but......................

I think you should try it and tell us how it works.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote:

Yeah...the brake fluid... sheesh!
Tell ya what... put 10w and 50/50 AF in a sealed mason jar in your freezer overnight.
Then take a #2 phillips (about size of core tube) and punch two holes in each lid
See which empties faster.
The point being that on a 0deg day, the oil out of the rad will have that viscosity.
So you have two fallacies that you base your premise on (besides the oil eating the hoses)
1. that the oil will 'flow better' when cold than the coolant mix.
2. that the AF has anything to do with thermostat failure, which BTW.. is FAR LESS COMMON than most here would lead you to believe. - Replacing the Thermostat is a shotgun fix which usually DOESNT resolve the symptoms.
Now, If I were stuck in the desert, amd a hose fell off and I lost all the coolant and had no water but I had five gallons of motor oil, then after fixing the hose, dang right I would fill it with the oil.
you pay..DEAL with it!

I suppose it depends on what your definition of "failure" is. If it means causing you to be stranded by the side of the road you are correct. If it means not maintaining the proper temp than failures are fairly common. It seems like I usually have to replace mine every other year or so because they won't maintain the proper temp and I generally use Motorcraft stats or NAPA superstats. I just put one in my Explorer 2 weeks ago and after driving my wife's Grand Marquis last Friday see that it needs one as well. IMHO stat failure is very common. Bob