Alternator and Turn Signals

92 F150, 351W, power everything, a/c
On my way home my (stock 80 amp) alternator seemed to go bad. The guage dropped close to 8 and the alternator light went on. I took the alternator
out and went to have it tested. it tested fine at just below 14 volts. So after I got home and put it in the guage still read the same and the alternator light was still on. Truck starts fine, this is the first time this has happened where the alternator turned out to be fine.
When engine not running the battery reads ~12.5v. When running it reads ~11.5v. Not sure how long it will be OK but it is for now. What should I be looking at to see why the guage and light are acting that way?
Next:
A couple of weeks ago I had some wires get wrapped around the steering column and break. The brake light wire came off and shorted. I replaced the fuse and fixed all the wires and now everything seems to be working fine except the turn signals. They don't come on at all. The brake lights, tail lights and hazard lights all work as expected. All fuses check OK. Not sure where to go with this one, anyone?
joe opined in

It's not charging and is running off the battery if it's below 12 at above idle.
Check the brushes, 4 little torx cap screws at the corner of the regulator.
If it's above 120,000 miles... thats about par for a truck
Rap on the alt housing, near the regulator, while it's running and see if it starts charging.
see info post

Not sure what the deal is with the (POS) alternator. I went out to do some more testing and found that the power steering wasn't working. Found out that I didn't put the belt on properly after putting back the alternator. After that it seems to be charging at a normal charge. I know the belt didn't come off initially because I didn;t loose power steering (or nothing else went wrong other than the alternator).
Seems to be OK now, will keep an eye on it.
Tha nks.

regulator.
it
joe opined in

No, your brushes are likely worn out!
See the tip... save a lotta bucks.... less than 10 for brushes and a few minutes to change them... can be done without dissembling the alt, if you're in a hurry but I recommend lubing the rear bearing
When it quits charging again you'll have about 23 miles... rap on the housing but it will be the brush springs that are contacting the slip rings