Aluminum Oil Pan Ford Escape

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

The pinto in North America had cast iron blocks, 1.6L, 2L and 2.3L. GM made aluminum V8 engines (215 olds) back in the sixties. And the Corvair(with cast iron cyls). Then there was the ill-concieved Vega - nothing wrong with the aluminum, but running tinned iron pistons in them was not a bright idea.Aluminum heads go back a LONG way - aftermarket Frontenac heads for Model "T" Fords come to mind. Porsche used aluminum blocks in their water cooled inline and "V" engines. Many other European models also used aluminum blocks.(Renault comes to mind - with cast iron "wet" sleaves) as well as many Asian engines(like the Subaru - with either wet cast iron sleaves or cast in chilled iron sleaves) The soob goes back to the late seventies. A well designed and well built aluminum engine can go 1000000 Km (600000 miles). As for aluminum oil pans, cast aluminum pans go way back too. Old Fiat 124 engines had cast aluminum pans.And it was not a new idea then either. Many engines with cast aluminum pans today also use the pan as the bottom of the crankcase, and the main-bearing "girdle", so the pan is structural.
The metalurgy and casting processes have improved markedly in recent decades, making the use of aluminum engine parts a much "sounder" engineering choice.

Here's a real shock for ya; they're making intake manifolds out of plastic now...

Porsche used that exact same technology in their engines and had little trouble with it. Never underestimate GMs ability to screw up a promising technology.

Ayup. Aluminum has been the material of choice for pistons for decades. On the other hand, I have a steel piston from a diesel engine on my work bench, (makes a dandy ashtray) it must have been replaced for a reason...

In he context of this thread, it isn't so. The cast aluminum oil pan will be much more rigid than the light gauge stamped sheet steel oil pan, more resistant to corrosion also. Around here, one can -reasonably- expect to get 6 years from a steel Ford oil pan before it rots out. FYI, you'd be hard pressed to find any "hardened" or "tempered" steel in any engine going back many years. The camshaft is about it, and it isn't all that hard and the hardness doesn't go very deep.

Absolutely, there are these pesky things called emissions regulations and fuel economy standards.

What type of aluminum and what type of cast iron? Kind of like asking 'how many bubbles are in a bar of soap' no?
Your right, my Crown Vic has a plastic intake manifold. They tend to crack. That is why Ford extended the warranty on that part. I guess I never thought of what pistons and engine blocks were made ofnow a days . I suppose it doesn't matter as long as you get some life out of the parts.
I am not particulraly happy with the fact that my ball joints and tie rods failed on my 98 Crown Vic so early. The car has 107,000 miles but I do know that these parts failed at about 40,000 miles. I just lived with lousey handling for a couple of years. I couldn't put my finger on the problem until I jacked up the car and found loose front end.
The local state inspection did not pick up (or inspect) tihs problem.
This is not proof that FORD is crap as shit for brains HURC has indicated.
I have owned other non FORD brands that failed premature such as the Crown Vic.
Still virtually all cop cars are Crown Vics. They gotta have some reliablity for that reason don't they?
Maybe the cops don't care about handleablitly?
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 03:39:29 GMT, aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 wrote:

Well, I've seen more than one smoking Porsche....
And don't you suppose that the average Porsche owner takes better care of his car than the average Vega owner?
Anybody that spends big bucks on a Porsche is not likely to admit they made a mistake. It was pretty easy to admit you made a mistake when you bought a Vega (even if it was "Car of the Year"). If you overheated your Vega and cooked the block, you blamed GM. If you overheated your Porsche and cooked the block, well Herr Schmidt probably beat you to death....
If only 10% of the Vega owners had problems in the 70's, that would still be more problem cars than 100% of contemporary Porsches.
How come nobody mentions the thousand of Honda Civics that burned oil at incredible rates in the early 70's? Why is the Vega the poster child for bad ideas? How about the thousands of Corollas that literally melted away from rust? Even in the relatively benign climate of North Carolina, you could hear early 70's Toyotas, Datsuns, and Hondsa rusting away. My 280Z rusted like there was no tomorrow. Ditto for my Sister's Accord. In fact, the only cars anyone in my family have owned that had actual rust holes were built in Japan (or England:)).
I know of several "happy" Vega owners (although none of them could beat my Pinto in an Autocross:))
GM used the technology first. Porsche went to school on GM. Or more correctly, the material supplier learned from GM's agony.
At the end, the Vega blocks were OK but by then, nobody cared.
Ed

IIRC, an aluminium crankcase, cast iron cylinders, and heads!!

Gee, you learn something every day.
Thanks.
Jeff
Did your mechanic friend show you how to use his new tool?
Tell him to use his hand next time.
It must be new to him, or he would know by now that using it on an oil plug is a waste of time.