AM stereo radios

My '92 Grand Marquis and my '96 Mark VIII radios can receive at least two stereo radio stations from Dallas which is about 180 miles away. How many other radios in Fords can receive AM stereo? Stan K.

Reply to
Stan Kasperski

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

That was a good one. Put a little phase separation between the two and it probably would sound like a standard AM stereo. My 96 Cobra has it. (Of course a mini-disc player was an option that year too.) I honestly don't think my 2002 Explorer has it but don't quote me on that. What a joke this was. It was doomed from the beginning. Multiple standards, fidelity little better than AM. After listening, you kinda ask: What was the point? I find my 96 Cobra AM stereo best used for enjoying lightning flashes. It adds a nice spatial quality to your ordinary lightning crash.

Reply to
DriveSpy

My Dodge Durango had AM stereo, on a radio so cheap that it was hard to tell that the FM was stereo. KCBS-740, "All News, All The Time" is in stereo, according to the little indicator... the fact that it is almost exclusively one person talking makes that a questionable feature.

Reply to
dold

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Back before Motorola's format became the 'official' one, one of the formats would actually work with two radios. The Kahn-Hazeltine system used the upper and lower sidebands to carry the two channels. If you tuned one radio a bit high, and the other a bit low, you would get some stereo.

AM stereo was the worst result of 'let the market decide'. Not only were there several formats, some also shared the pilot signal, which told the radio that a signal was in stereo. I have a Sony multi-standard AM stereo radio, and it has a switch to choose between some of the formats.

When it came time for TV stereo, they learned their lesson. Several companies banded together to come up with one standard, and the government mandated that only that format could use that particular pilot signal.

There's an AM Stereo website here:

Andrew Rossmann

Well. it looks like they are confused again.... HDTV, CD/DVD recording.... and then throw in non-agreement with the government as to what it's legal to record for personal use because it's "new" technology when all they really need to do is add it to the decision made decades ago.

Pers>>> That was a good one. Put a little phase separation between the two and it

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

The Ka-Cunk! Thats funny. And back then we didn't think anything of it. Or at least I didn't. I had a cheap home deck which had the head not exactly on track-center and you could hear the adjacent track in the background. I think there was a screw adjuster on the head to align it correctly. Try that with your Ipod! Thanks to Andy for that AM stereo site. That was quite interesting.

Reply to
DriveSpy

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

You boys should be old enough.. (if ya went to Vietnam) to know how to operate an 8-track!

8 tracks (at home or in car,) required a matchbook with a set number of matches left inside, (usually in the 4 to 8 range) folded in half, and inserted beneath the 8-track tape to keep it from dragging. (does nothing for the middle of song changeover though..) Chuck
Reply to
Chuck