American Technology at its best.

My car gets 17MPH Highway/12City. This is why I long to stay with the American car makers.

I also only carry bills with me. If I get change I toss it onto the parking lot as I leave.

Reply to
Bob Brown

I don't know what car you're driving, but my Grand Marquis gets at least

8-10 MPG more than that on the Highway. And it's a V8-powered 4,000 pound car.
Reply to
El Bandito

94 t-bird.... 4K pounds? Dude, mine don't even weigh 3K

Are you hauling another car? Do you have bags of cement in the trunk?

Reply to
Bob Brown

'94 'Boid "curb weight" is around 3600-3700 lbs. Check your specs.

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Nope, that car is a body-on-frame full-size car. It is about 4,000 pounds. Read about the Panther Platform... Mine's a '99

Besides, your '94 'Bird (Superbird) has a curb weight of 3700 pounds (heavier than you think), almost as heavy as my Panther.

For yours,

Nice car, my first car was a 1979 T-Bird (Heritage Edition) with a 351 engine...

Reply to
El Bandito

My 95 Caprice with the corvette 350 they used that year got 24 mpg on the freeway. My 04 Crown Vic P71 gets about 22 mpg. Both are large cars with pretty good performance.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

"Bob Brown" wrote

You should be getting a lot more. Get a tune-up, drive nicely, and release the parking brake.

MasterBlaster

That 'Bird is a lot heavier than you think and probably has something wrong to use that much fuel. CV's/GM's do better than that.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The DOOR says something around 2600-2700 lbs.

Reply to
Bob Brown

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:40:35 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
Bob Brown

Please don't feed the trolls.

--=dj=--

Reply to
DJ

02 Town Car - 25.5 highway, 18.3 city

Web Site:

David Starr

Spec-plate inside drivers door?

Maybe max load capacity. Not vehicle weight. The car weighs about the same as a '94 LeSabre. I checked -before- I bought one (back in '97).

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

For a tbird to get that poor gas mileage it would have to be running pretty bad, or the driver is an idiot.

Mine (2,. tot 150,000 mi) has NEVER gotten below 20 mpg, even in times when I drove pure city/suburb. Discount 10% for them being v6's STILL 18 mpg.

21 hwy. I get 23 mixed.
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My car weighs 4,000 lbs? No wonder the MPG sucks What does a Prius weigh?

Reply to
Bob Brown

Troll? It's my MPG, how is that trolling? Would love this explanation.

Reply to
Bob Brown

3700 'till you throw some stuff in the truck, jump in.

One of many factors.

Prius, Touring. Curb weight (lb.) 2932, 2932. Seating capacity, 5,

  1. Passenger volume (cu. ft.) 96.2, 96.2. Luggage capacity (cu. ft.)
14.4

Prius is a 2900 lb elec.-assisted car with a 1.5L gas motor. I'm guessing virtually -all- the driving characteristics would be

*drastically* different from what you've been driving. Might be similar for repair costs in the long-run, as well, I dunno.

You wanna describe your car (V8?), mileage, driving habits, service record, etc, it's likely someone here would suggest what to look for re improved mileage.

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I wonder if my sucky MPG has anything to do with the tranny shudder issue? It bounces and wobbles and shudders after 2nd gear all the time, have to stomp the gas pedal to get it out of the shudder sometimes. It would cost most than the car is worth to get the tranny fixed. No one would buy my car with the tranny issue, AND I don't have enough money saved to begin to replace it with anything similar to the

94 tbird.

It's sad but it also makes me mad.

Reply to
Bob Brown

I had the shudder maybe 30k mi. ago. Got new fluid and it went away.

I'm not gonna ask how long you been drivin' it like that ...

How you know? You got definitive diagnosis (that you're keepin' secret)?

No offence, but it sounds to po' me like you needed to take care of what you got all along.

Good Luck, Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Puddin' Man

10K miles. I'm not a mechanic so how I am to know these things?

An estimate from a friend of the family who works on the transmissions told me $1,700 would be a low price.

What was I suppose to do? Change the trans fluid daily? I don't even jack-rabbit start, drive fast, go up/down maountins, none of that stuff.

I don't/didn't abuse this car.

Reply to
Bob Brown