American Technology at its best.

Page 1 of 2
My car gets 17MPH Highway/12City. This is why I long to stay with the American car makers.
I also only carry bills with me. If I get change I toss it onto the
parking lot as I leave.
Bob Brown wrote:

I don't know what car you're driving, but my Grand Marquis gets at least 8-10 MPG more than that on the Highway. And it's a V8-powered 4,000 pound car.
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

94 t-bird.... 4K pounds? Dude, mine don't even weigh 3K
Are you hauling another car? Do you have bags of cement in the trunk?
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:20:38 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

'94 'Boid "curb weight" is around 3600-3700 lbs. Check your specs.
Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 04:05:07 GMT, Puddin' Man

The DOOR says something around 2600-2700 lbs.
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:54:02 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Spec-plate inside drivers door?
Maybe max load capacity. Not vehicle weight. The car weighs about the same as a '94 LeSabre. I checked -before- I bought one (back in '97).
Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:49:25 GMT, Puddin' Man

My car weighs 4,000 lbs? No wonder the MPG sucks What does a Prius weigh?
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:22:15 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

3700 'till you throw some stuff in the truck, jump in.

One of many factors.

Prius, Touring. Curb weight (lb.) 2932, 2932. Seating capacity, 5, 5. Passenger volume (cu. ft.) 96.2, 96.2. Luggage capacity (cu. ft.) 14.4
Prius is a 2900 lb elec.-assisted car with a 1.5L gas motor. I'm guessing virtually -all- the driving characteristics would be *drastically* different from what you've been driving. Might be similar for repair costs in the long-run, as well, I dunno.
You wanna describe your car (V8?), mileage, driving habits, service record, etc, it's likely someone here would suggest what to look for re improved mileage.
Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:41:27 -0600, Puddin' Man

I wonder if my sucky MPG has anything to do with the tranny shudder issue? It bounces and wobbles and shudders after 2nd gear all the time, have to stomp the gas pedal to get it out of the shudder sometimes. It would cost most than the car is worth to get the tranny fixed. No one would buy my car with the tranny issue, AND I don't have enough money saved to begin to replace it with anything similar to the 94 tbird.
It's sad but it also makes me mad.
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:43:44 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

I had the shudder maybe 30k mi. ago. Got new fluid and it went away.
I'm not gonna ask how long you been drivin' it like that ...

How you know? You got definitive diagnosis (that you're keepin' secret)?

No offence, but it sounds to po' me like you needed to take care of what you got all along.
Good Luck, Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:42:16 GMT, Puddin' Man

10K miles. I'm not a mechanic so how I am to know these things?

An estimate from a friend of the family who works on the transmissions told me $1,700 would be a low price.

What was I suppose to do? Change the trans fluid daily? I don't even jack-rabbit start, drive fast, go up/down maountins, none of that stuff.
I don't/didn't abuse this car.
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 01:10:41 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Divest your denial. You knew somethin' was wrong when the shudder developed. No?

Did he drive the 'Boid?
$1700 sounds like a rebuild. That's about what a shop quoted me some years ago when mine needed only a $30 MLPS.

That's silly.

Good.
Good.
Are you in a position to say that your properly maintained/repaired it?
Oldest maxim in the auto world: "You Take Care Of It, It Will Take Care Of You".
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:31:36 GMT, Puddin' Man

That is why I took it to a ford dealership. They DISGNOSED it needing plugs and wires. When it didn't stop they suggested injectors. When they finally said 'oh, it might be the tranny...' I asked for most of my money back. I spent about $700 and got about $200 of that back. I did the right thing, I had someone who was SUPPOSE TO BE qualified to check the car.
Now what?

Yes. Drove it for nearly 30 minutes.

This mechanic told me a fluid change would do no good. He said wait until it literally stops then come in for the rebuild. What do I do? Do I question this mechanic also? Who do I trust? Perhaps a dentist?

Yeah, that's why I said it.

As per the manual. Other than prayer services and some miracle what else was I suppose to do with this car?
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:56:21 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Crossfire from (cursed) Ford plug wires -could- cause shudder. But from motor, not trans. Good mechanic could tell difference.

Now you know 1 Ford dealer to avoid like the Black Plague.

Dunno. Wasn't there.

See below.

Consider the following for future reference:
1.) Evaluate problem to extent practical. Develop 1 or more potential diagnoses if possible. 2.) Post here and/or in similar forum. At bare minimum include: a.) All symptoms in all detail. b.) Make, model, mileage, and any possibly relevant repairs and/or conditions. c.) Any potential diagnoses you have made. 3.) Evaluate responses very carefully. 4.) As necessary, take car to shop, see what they say. Compare to forum responses. 5.) Decide what needs to be done. Fix or take to shop.
Sad to say, in $ transactions, you can't necessarily trust -any- of these 'ere homo sapiens except yourself. There are knowledgable folks in this forum having no motivation to steer you wrong. Inquire respectfully, and listen to 'em.
Best, Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
Bob Brown wrote:

Nope, that car is a body-on-frame full-size car. It is about 4,000 pounds. Read about the Panther Platform... Mine's a '99
Besides, your '94 'Bird (Superbird) has a curb weight of 3700 pounds (heavier than you think), almost as heavy as my Panther.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Marquis#Third_generation_.281998-present.29
For yours,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird#1989-1997_.22Super_Birds.22
Nice car, my first car was a 1979 T-Bird (Heritage Edition) with a 351 engine...
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:20:38 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

That 'Bird is a lot heavier than you think and probably has something wrong to use that much fuel. CV's/GM's do better than that.
Lugnut
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:33:12 -0500, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

My 95 Caprice with the corvette 350 they used that year got 24 mpg on the freeway. My 04 Crown Vic P71 gets about 22 mpg. Both are large cars with pretty good performance.
"Bob Brown" wrote

You should be getting a lot more. Get a tune-up, drive nicely, and release the parking brake. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/compx2005f.jsp?year 94&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&hiddenField=Findacar
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:40:35 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Nice site.
Bob Brown wrote:

Please don't feed the trolls.
--=dj=--