"Amp" light

Hi. The "Amp" light in my 84 Lincoln Continental stays on all the time and I have no idea why. It doesn't sound like the alternator because my battery doesn't die. Plus, I've had the alternator
replaced in the past only to have the light stay on afterwards. I also know the battery is getting charged because the voltage across the battery is approx. 14.4V when the car is running. I'm stumped on this. Any suggestions?
I'm a newbie here, so not sure if anyone can help or if it's the place to ask such questions:
I have a servo/motor type gadget on the end of the accelerator cable to adjust the idle. It doesn't seem to respond quickly enough when decelerating and coming to a stop, and the engine just wants to Rev on for a while until the servo/motor pin lowers. I've disconnected it in the mean time, but the engine tends to cut out when not warm and even then on occasion.
Any ideas how to fix this problem?
Dave.
when you want to start a new message you should hit the button that says new post.. not reply to group....
sounds like you need a new idle adjuster....
Ken

decelerating
until

decelerating
until
wrote in message news:...

the
Seems to be TPS related?
D.
wrote in message news:...

the
It's probably the voltage regulator (VR). Check the connections at the VR for corrosion; there is a wire in this harness that feeds the alternator idiot light, and if it's corroded, the light will stay on. If connections are clean, it could still be the VR and it should be replaced. Use genuine Ford/MotorCraft replacement for best results.
PaulG wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.