Amsoil

Page 1 of 3
Anyone using Amsoil? I am about to change over to Amsoil oil and their filters in all my cars - '04 Lincoln LS, '04 Ford Escape, '98 Mercury Mountaineer, and
'98 Contour.
Current plan is to use the 5W20 XL7500 series in the two new cars and change at the factory suggested 5K intervals to avoid any fights in case of warranty issues. Amsoil recommends up to 7500 miles with this oil. Will use 5W30 in the Mountaineer and Contour and change at 12K intervals, but change the filter at 6K intervals. Amsoil recommends 15K for this oil and 7500 for the filters.
Appreciate any comments or experiences with Amsoil oil or filters.
Larry
I guess you can do that, as long as you buy a new vehicle every two years like I do. ;)
mike hunt
LarryLarry2003 wrote:

<<I guess you can do that, as long as you buy a new vehicle every two years like I do. ;)>>
I don't. In 40 years I rarely drive a car less than 125K, and frequently to 200K.
What does that prove? I also own several old cars, one 4cy has nearly 300K on the clock. Never used anything in any of them but regular oil.
mike hunt
LarryLarry2003 wrote:

I've been using Amsoil for years, no problems.
-GV
How long have you been selling Amsoil? ;)
mike hunt
GlassVial wrote:

I don't sell Amsoil :)
-GV
but your posts indicate that you are trying to justify to yourself the extra, unnessary expense you are incurring by buying a MLM product.

filters
and
change at

in
filter
filters.
Sounds like you got sold a bill of goods by an Amsoil distributor.
<<Sounds like you got sold a bill of goods by an Amsoil distributor.>>
Actually no, have not talked to one.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (LarryLarry2003) wrote in

Amsoil is a pyramid scheme. You can buy better synthetic oil at (insert name) and not feed the MLM (read pyramid) monster.
<<Amsoil is a pyramid scheme. You can buy better synthetic oil at (insert name) and not feed the MLM (read pyramid) monster.>>
I figured it was a pyramid deal, which bothers me a lot. However, from all my research I believe it is the best oil out there.
You are correct, Amsoil is indeed 'out there.' ;)
mike hunt
LarryLarry2003 wrote:

LarryLarry2003 wrote:

Exactly what leads you to this conclusion - Amsoil ads?
I don't actually think there is anything wrong with the product. I don't think it is anything special either. In my opinion it is over hyped. You need to pay careful attention to the Amsoil claims and be especially careful when reading the information provided by the distributors (as opposed to Amsoil Inc.).
Do you realize that the XL7500 oil is just a highly refined group III petroleum based oil and not a synthetic oil in the same way that Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil? The XL7500 is the same sort of synthetic as Catrol Syntec, just a lot more expensive. I can't see any reason to prefer the Amsoil product over Syntec if you are following the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance schedule.
If you want to maintain your new car warranty you need to follow the vehicle manufacturers maintenance schedule, no matter what you think Amsoil is saying about extended drain intervals. After the vehicle is out of warranty it is your money, so you can go to the extended drain intervals.
Personally I think most US car makers specify oil change intervals that are far too conservative. Basically the same engines running similar oils have much longer oil change intervals in Europe. I still do my Ford changes at 3000 miles, but I doubt it is necessary.
Regards,
Ed White
Ed responded <<I don't actually think there is anything wrong with the product. I don't think it is anything special either. In my opinion it is over hyped. You need to pay careful attention to the Amsoil claims and be especially careful when reading the information provided by the distributors (as opposed to Amsoil Inc.).>>
<<Do you realize that the XL7500 oil is just a highly refined group III petroleum based oil and not a synthetic oil in the same way that Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil?>> Not, this was the type information I sought with the post.
<<If you want to maintain your new car warranty you need to follow the vehicle manufacturers maintenance schedule, no matter what you think Amsoil is saying about extended drain intervals. After the vehicle is out of warranty it is your money, so you can go to the extended drain intervals.>> I realize this, and I believe I described this in the original post
<<Personally I think most US car makers specify oil change intervals that are far too conservative. Basically the same engines running similar oils have much longer oil change intervals in Europe. I still do my Ford changes at 3000 miles, but I doubt it is necessary.>> In the '70's I did change on a BMW at 2500 miles for all 146K I had it. Now I do typically 4000 to 5000. Lazier I guess.
Thanks for comments Ed.
about 5 years ago i had an amsoil dealer try to sell me on using his "magic synthetic oil", after seeing the 3 55 gallon drums of valvoline all fleet in the garage. after listening to his praise of this snake oil ,and him putting down all the other brands, he gave me a goverment specification sheet rating 10 different brands of oil.the interesting thing about the rating sheet he handed to me was that the valvoline 15-40 all fleet that i have been using in all my trucks and cars for over 30 years now was rated #1, and his precious amsoil synthetic was rated #3. i still have that rating sheet in the tool box to show salesmen who come in telling me that my valvoline is no good, and that synthetic oils are the way to go.by the way, mobile 1 was rated #5 behind quaker state and pennsoil tied at #4, and castroil gtx at #2

all my

Better synthetic oil such as? And you can by amsoil direct, you don't need to go through anyone to "feed" the pyramid monster.
-GV

Mobil 1 ?

Show me a test that says Mobil 1 is better than Amsoil. :)
-GV
show me the independent test that says it's inferior.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow