Amsoil

Show me a test that says Mobil 1 is better than Amsoil. :)

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Man, the tone of your response is really snotty. I'm sorry if I touched a nerve..that wasn't my point. Look folks, for the record. I lived in Montana for eight years. During that time I used Amsoil most of the time. My cold starts were great, even at -50; which happened several times. I ran the oil in my crankcase, the gear lube in the tranny and rear end and I used the grease in my bearings. MY gas mileage was about 1-2 mpg better and on those really cold mornings, moving the shift lever was way easier. All of that being said, I'm now twenty years older and the world has changed. There are other synthetics on the market that are cheaper. So, I recommend using them instead. As far as those extended change intervals, they're not for me. I change between 4,000 and 5,000, more frequently if I am in the desert a lot. Oil get dirty. Filters don't get all of it. Changing oil is cheap insurance...unless you use very expensive oil. Then it's more expensive insurance but it's still cheaper than a breakdown. Use good oil, syn or dino. Change it often. Buy what's on sale as long as it's SAE rated. That's my $.02

Reply to
Reece Talley

show me the independent test that says it's inferior.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Ok, you asked for it.

And so on.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Hey folks, I started this whole thread and did not mean to cause flames. I got pretty much what I wanted from it. The tests referenced here are not necessarily independent. I was trying to find a source of independent testing not reported on a vendor web site to compare the products, namely Mobile1 and Amsoil for both oil and filter products. I have not seen this yet.

I did learn the following:

  1. Amsoil is sold through a pyrmid structure. This is a negative to me.
  2. There are very satisfied Amsoil and Mobile1 users.
  3. There is no clear concensus that synthetic is better in real world benefits than non-synthetic, however lab tests and logic tend to support this.

I have used Castrol GTX for decades with no problems, and I kept nearly every car well over 100K miles, and some to 200K. I recently switched to Mobile1 in one car, and I am planning a switch for 2 new cars to something synthetic. Whether there is a real world benefit for me or not is to be determined.

Thanks again for your comments and insights.

Larry

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

I guess you don't have a clue what an independent test is. Hint..... you won't find it at amsoil's website. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Some of those linked are independent, not all. Posted for reference only, anyway.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Flames? Where? If there are any I'm certainly not offended by them. Believe me I'd love to see some sort of "oil shootout" test, but I guess the best you can do is get the info that's out there and make your own decisions.

Yeah I'm not a fan of MLM's myself. This is why I buy my Amsoil direct, there's no middle-man to directly support the pyramid.

And I'm a satisfied Amsoil user, and there's lots of others. Ask around in the Taurus Car Club, there were (at least at one point) several satisified Amsoil users who actually did their own oil analyses, with no problems.

Yep. Just ask people who've had their engines not get ruined after their oil pump blew during a race (thanks to using synthetics) :-D

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Well then you must be a dealer

Reply to
Bob

How many times do I have to tell you I'm not a dealer??

You can order Amsoil directly online through the website!

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I see all those links are at the Spamsoil web site.

Reply to
rmac3321

starting is 100 times better, any data that says it is 100 times, not 99 times or 101 times. As in other posts you are stating opinion and conjecture as fact. Fact is, any lube oil with a synthetic base oil, or dino oil with the correct amount of pour point depressant will start better in cold weather.

Reply to
rmac3321

but your posts indicate that you are trying to justify to yourself the extra, unnessary expense you are incurring by buying a MLM product.

Reply to
rmac3321

I would definitely agree with not using Amsoil. Apparently most of their oils haven't been approved by the API. Look for the little circular symbol on the bottles saying "API Service ..." and showing the SAE viscosity. It ain't there.

Run away! Run away!

Reply to
Pieter Iakov

Nope, I'm stating facts from personal experience. Fact: *my* car starts better in the winter with Amsoil vs. regular oil.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Larry, My mech. installed the 50 weight oil in my 5.0 crown vic. motor saying it had very large oil ports and could handle the higher viscosity oil. I'm hearing the Castrol Syntec is newest and more advanced tech. on the synthetics and will be changing over next oil change. Best part is supposed "cleaning out" of engine if you do initial change 3-4x miles after changeover from conv. oil. My car now runs 190 or lower (also flushed cooling system) and oil is already very black after 3x miles so it must work! Watch for multiple drain plugs on some of the larger Ford motors. Failure to open both can leave a quart of the old stuff in there! Bob/Orlando Lovin my '89 "Blue Kangaroo"!

Reply to
Bob Manly

High Temperature/High Shear (ASTM D-4683)

The High Temperature/High Shear Test measures a lubricant's viscosity under severe high temperature and shear conditions that resemble highly-loaded journal bearings in fired internal combustion engines. In order to prevent bearing wear, it is important for a lubricant to maintain its protective viscosity under severe operating conditions. The minimum High Temperature/High Shear viscosity for a 30 weight oil is 2.9 cP. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil surpasses this minimum standard and displayed the highest High Temperature/High Shear viscosity in the group. The superior viscosity retention of AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil in the face of severe temperature and shear conditions allows it to provide continuous, unsurpassed protection for engine bearings, extending equipment life and preventing wear.

10W-30 Viscosity

AMSOIL----------------------------------------------------------3.51 cP Quaker State PeakPerformance----------------------3.37 Castrol GTX Drive Hard --------------------------------3.35 Valvoline Syn Power ---------------------------------3.30 Mobil 1 Super Syn Power -------------------------3.30 Valvoline ----------------------------------------------3.28 Mobil Drive Clean -----------------------------3.20 Pennzoil with Purebase ----------------3.16 Quaker State Synthetic --------------3.15 Pennzoil Synthetic -------------------3.14 Castrol Syntec ----------------------3.13

March 2003 test results

To respond via e-mail, simply take the, "REMOVEXX" out of my return e-mail address.

Reply to
SnThetcOil

This is meaningless. A fluid film bearing needs a film of fluid. Period. Since we don't know the starting viscosity of the oils tested the end results are meaningless again. the 10W-30 is just the promised viscosity not the actual product viscosity. You many well want a thin but stable fluid film to obtain max power and fuel economy. Higher viscosity alone is not the solution.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Richard, You will never convince the Amsoil crowd with facts. They consist of two groups - the first are the distributors who are in the business to make money from an over-priced product by making exaggerated claims (note the misleading scale of the graph above), the second group consists of those who have been taken in by the first group and will never admit that they have overpaid for an average product. Regards

Reply to
mcalister

Yeah yeah, so does any "off the shelf" oil you find in Walmart for 1/3 -

1/2 the price. I put 287,000 KM on my last 93 Chevy using off the shelf from Walmart 10-30 or 10-40 oil changed regularly, and when I sold it, it wasnt burning any oil. R
Reply to
Rudy