amsoil - good or bad?

Page 2 of 4
I declare this thread closed! Stop! Stop that!!

I Love Edsels wrote:

You don't have that authority or power. Carry on everyone!! Onwards and upwards towards enlightenment ;-)
Huw
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:41:47 -0000, "Huw"

I don't know how much money Am Soil costs, but what does a new engine cost? Plenty! So why fool around with something that isn't *officially* recognized by OEM ? Because you can VOID YOUR WARRANTY with Scamz Oil.
Use Mobil1. Aside from the extended change intervals, you're saving your engine parts from unnecessary wear. So it is said.
Lg
Lawrence Glickman wrote:

Unfair to call it that but I won't be using it.

A lot is 'said' as you see here and from the type of inference shown when you call Amsoil "Scamz Oil". Most of it is balls. As for Mobil 1 synthetic, most of the product range do not meet any especially high standards apart from the 0w/40 and the 15w/50 viscosity grades. Check out their spec sheets and compare to the other Mobil1 viscosity grades.
Huw
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:56:32 -0000, "Huw"

Unfair? There are only 2 things you need to know about Scamz Oil.
#1) They don't/won't/can't compete in the *open market* because? ( they would get their asses kicked off the shelves? )
#2) You void you engine warranty if you use that trash. It isn't reconized by ANY OEM as suitable lubricant for warranty purposes.
Now are you still going to hype the stuff? There's a sucker born every minute.
Lg
Lawrence Glickman wrote:

I would not hype any brand though you blatantly hyped Mobil 1. For me the brand is not important. The standard met by the oil is. For most of my vehicles I need API CH4 and mb 228.3 as a minimum combined with API SL while for other more demanding applications I need international ACEA A3 and B3 [which most Mobil1 does NOT meet] or Mercedes 229.3 or BMWLL01 but prefer to use oils meeting mb228.5 ultra high performance. Hope that makes sense and please note that Amsoil does NOT figure and I do not hype a brand, any brand.
Huw
Hope that makes sense and please note that Amsoil does NOT figure and I do not hype a brand, any brand.
Huw
" you claim that you are not "hyping ", but you still claim it is a far superior oil, even though it does not meet API certification ,and it does not meet any certifications for your euro cars.
now I may just be a stupid truck driver, but it sure sounds like you are pushing this snake oil to me.
tom wrote:

I have NOT claimed so. I have said it could be and if you listen to Amsoil it is. I have explained that it is difficult to verify if it does not meet any specific standards. That is what standards are for. They can also be restrictive in some circumstances. I believe a lubricant can be superior and still meet the basic API standard which is why I use that kind of oil.

Of course it does. The same standards are universally recognised.

You said that. I didn't.
but it sure sounds like you

Then look again.
Huw
Huw wrote:

Woops! This does not make sense and is the result of careless snipping. AFAIK you are right that some varieties of Amsoil do not meet any recognised standard but I have not checked in the last two years or so.

Write in haste and repent at leisure. That didn't come out sounding quite right either. Sorry.

I'll stand by that one ;-) I have no view on Amsoil other than it might or might not be a good product but I cannot form an accurate view because it does not meet the official 'standards' that I would expect. Because of this an in the absence of any real evidence as to its suitablity, I would prefer to use another oil.
Huw

Yes it does! It is a meet or exceed specification, it either meets the minimal API specification or it does not, that means it is NOT good enough! Period.

Now, wait a minute...as far as I know, Amscam has not paid the money to get API certification. That doesn't mean that the oil will not pass.
Am I wrong on this?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

You are correct. However some of their oils have been accredited so we must presume, rightly or wrongly, that the remaining oils would not pass, probably for technical reasons not for quality or performance reasons but who knows?
Huw

Valvoline AllFleet is one oil I used a LOT of when in "the business". Also used a lot of Shell - Rotella on the farm, fleet, and industrial equipment and their premium normal oil (can't remember the name any more) on a lot of other vehicles. Also used a lot of HAvoline, Gastrol GTX, and Kendall GT1. Never much of a fan of Quaker State or Penzoil. *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
yup. great oil. but I have no idea why they discontinued marketing it. the only way to get it now is from Napa. napa 15-40 all fleet is valvoline all fleet in a Napa package. <clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message
> Valvoline AllFleet is one oil I used a LOT of when in "the business".

http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Allfleet or mutifleet oils are those that meet API S standards for petrol vehicles as well as API C standards for diesel. Today they almost always meet API CH4 for diesel which is a Super High Performance Diesel [SHPD] standard for extended drain intervals up to 45000kms.
Combining this high detergent long drain specification with approval for petrol engines gives the highest quality dino oil available today but if used in an old petrol engine with many existing deposits it might cause a problem. The main drawback is that multifleet [mixed petrol and diesel] heavy duty oils are mainly available as 15w/40 viscosity which is not always suitable for all engines. Apart from the viscosity this type of oil is superior in many ways to lesser synthetics.
Huw
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:18:25 -0000, "Huw"

It is suitable for most vehicles in all but the coldest conditions if you are not worried about the last little bit of fuel economy. Even on my 3.8 Pontiac, which recommends SAE 5W30 API SH oil, 15W40 is perfectly acceptable to -7C or +20F without engine pre-heat. During the winter it could be just a tad on the heavy side, but I use 10W40, which even according to GM tables is acceptable to -20C (even though they say never to use 10W40 - but allow 10W30 - which makes no sense at all - don't even start talking about the supposed shear induced viscosity breakdown in 10W40 oils) *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

I won't ;-) I use a multifleet 15w/40 in almost all my vehicles although almost all are diesel. In the Diesel Range Rover and Land Cruiser I use the highest standard heavy duty synthetic 10/w40 which can run for 60,000 miles or more given the right engine systems. I use it because I run at double oil change intervals in the Toyota at 10,000 miles and the RR engine runs to 15,000 as standard but I want to use an even more superior oil than specified.
Yes I know, I'm a sad person.
Huw

I tried only their standard motor oil, and it was okay. Didn't do as well on the four-ball test as Castrol Syntec, but it came close. Seemed to have reasonable solvent action. Don't know about any of their other products. --scott

I Love Edsels wrote:

In my experience there is a lot of noisy hype surrounding their products, but the chances are that their oil will provide about as much engine longevity as oil from one of the major brands. The key to engine longevity is establishing a regular schedule of frequent oil and filter changes that exceeds the manufacturers schedule and sticking to it.