Another sad state

This is pathetic... no showings from the "big 3" ... terrible

Here?s a quick breakdown of the list of the top 12 greenest cars for 2007:

  1. Honda Civic GX (actually runs on natural gas) 2. Toyota Prius 3. Honda Civic Hybrid 4. Nissan Altima Hybrid 5. Toyota Yaris 6. Toyota Corolla 7. Toyota Camry Hybrid 8. Honda Fit 9. Kia Rio5 10. Hyundai Accent 11. Hyundai Elantra 12. Honda Civic

I guess until the Ford F-150, the Chevy Silverado or the Dodge Ram magically become environmentally friendly, it doesn?t appear that we?re going to see an American car on this list any time soon.

Reply to
Picasso

Yes, yes, yes, sure - this is why the big three are in the financial toilet.

The vast majority of car purchasers could not give a flying rat's ass (or a rat's flying ass) how "green" their vehicle is. Fuel economy is surely part of a purchase decision, but most people could not care less how much pollution they generate, they are merely concerned with the annual fuel cost of the vehicle.

The writer of this article is trying to promote green hysteria, as usual.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

The only car on the list I would consider is #12, the regular Civic.

I guess until the Ford F-150, the Chevy Silverado or the Dodge Ram

Until Hinda Civic can haul 1500 lbs, I don't guess we will see it on the list of work trucks.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

That is because domestic buyer are smarter. They are not going to spend all that extra money to buy overpriced and underpowered cars when the cars they buy already produce relatively little pollution Ford currently offers 'Flexfuel' vehicles that run on NG, propane, or ethanol and has for ten years or more. They also have several hybrids on the market but buyer prefer the lower cost conventionally powered versions Better to leave the experimental cars to the tree huggers, they make them feel good and it gives them something to talk about at the country club LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess it depend on which magazine one chooses to believe. The Focus has consistently been listed as a "best buy" in several consumer magazines

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes. Many magazines do not take repair history into account.

It's too bad that Ford won't build a reliable and durable Focus. It's an attractive car, even available in a wagon style and it's hard to find a small wagon on the market, nowadays. I'd consider it, if Ford products didn't suck.

They've been building that car since 2000. Every one that rolls off the assembly line should be PERFECT and they've had enough failure information to make sure everyone that rolls off the assembly line will last for 300K miles, trouble-free.

But they don't. Ford *could* do it. But they don't.

Reply to
dh

You're hilarious. Detroit either doesn't know how to build a good, small, fuel-efficient car or they don't want to.

NG, Propane and Ethanol are bogus choices and people know it, which is why Corollas and Civics are hot sellers.

You should also know that when you burn ethanol in a ca 10:1 compression engine, you're wasting a good proportion of the energy value of the fuel. Detroit knows this but they figure the smoke and mirrors of "green" fuels that aren't really green will win them a sale.

Reply to
dh

You are entitled to you own opinion, no mater how convolute it may be. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Anybody who would endanger the life of their family by putting them is a midget car to save a few relative few dollars a year on fuel is a fool. All the 'green' vehicle sales in the US combined do not amount to 1% of all the vehicles sold in the US LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter, the source of all human wisdom, automotive and otherwise.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

More every year. And some sell for more than MSRP. I'll bet a dealer loves it when he can sell a car for more than MSRP.

Reply to
dh

Its' not new and, there's nothing wrong with the Focus. Consumer Reports consistently likes it, owners like it, the local currier service owns a bunch and replaces them with more Focii. Of course you can choose not to look.

Reply to
FanJet

I'm not surprised that any fool that would endanger the life of their family by putting them is a midget car to save a few relative few dollars a year on fuel, would also pay over MSRP for any car LOL

.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

When I owed my fleet service business we serviced thousands of courier cars in several states. They used mostly the Focus, Civic, Corolla, Neon, VWs, Cavaliers, and the Korean cars. They are run round the clock seven days a week. 100K a year was not uncommon for three of four years. Like all fleets, courier companies look at the total cost of ownership from original cost to insurance, maintenance, repair and parts cost as well as trade or disposal costs.

The courier fleet favorites were the Koran cars, then the Focus and other domestics, then the Japs, then the VWs.. There was little difference in maintenance and repair cost among them but purchase prices and the cost and availability of parts were the difference

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I see you've given up and gone back to "small cars are bad."

Well, millions of people disagree with you.

And millions of people find that GM, Ford and Chrysler don't build a small car they like and trust and are willing to pay a good price for.

Babble all you like but Toyota's making money hand over fist and Detroit is on the ropes. That's a product issue.

Reply to
dh

One reason why you don't see trucks like the Escape Hybrid, Ford F-150, Ram or Silverado on the list of the most eco-friendly (or, more accurately, least eco-unfriendly) cars is that this is a list of *CARS*, not trucks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Relative to what?

Interestingly, the EPA has a different list:

with American-brand cars in the top 12.

The Japanese cars have plenty of power. They may not be overpowered, like their American-brand competitors, but so what?

Which explains why there are so many foriegn brand cars sold in the US and the top-selling car in the world and in the US is from a Japanese company.

Gee, I wonder why. Ethanol has, at best, marginal benefit to the environment (but great finanical benefit to Arthur Daniels Midland Corp) when made from corn (the ethanol from Brasil is made from sugar cane or another glucose source).

I don't consider the Japanese hybrid systems experimental. They have been proven to be reliable.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Will you please demonstrate that the death-rate of occupants of small cars (or whatever you mean by "midget cars" is higher than for SUVs)?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

First of all, your idea that EVERY ONE that rolls off the line should last for 300K is absurd. Secondly, how do you KNOW that they are not essentially of equal quality to the Toyota equivalent? Please cite the FACTUAL basis for your claim, and I don't mean the meaningless self reporting of people who subscribe to CR. CR can't even get the same car to have the same ratings when it's sold under two different nameplates. My Dad has a Pontiac Vibe. Other then the name glued to the hatchback, its identical to the Toyota Matrix. Yet somehow people have more problems with the Pontiac Version. I see American cars all the time that run to way past 150K without any major repairs but to hear you drones bitch they all fall apart at 37K. If you look at the JD power trouble index there's barely enough difference between the top 20 cars to sneeze at but people make these trivial differences sound like the end of the world.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Why do you think a Focus isn't reliable? Even Toyota Reports (errr.. I mean Consumer Reports) gives the Focus decent reliability marks. The Focus get the same rating as the Corolla.

Toyota has been building essentially the same Corolla for 20 years. Yet more Corollas have been recalled that Foci. What percentage of Corollas will make it to 300,000 miles?

Toyota apparently can't do it.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White