Another sad state

Page 3 of 3

One reason why you don't see trucks like the Escape Hybrid, Ford F-150, Ram or Silverado on the list of the most eco-friendly (or, more accurately, least eco-unfriendly) cars is that this is a list of *CARS*, not trucks.
Jeff

There is another explanation, actually a couple. On local dealer gets rid of competitor's vehicle at their various lots by shifting them to other dealership that they own. Like one local Ford dealer, they also own Honda and Toyota delaerships. If they get a desirable Honda in trade at the Ford lot, they shift it over to the Honda store. If they get a desirable Ford at the Honda store, they shift it over to the Ford delaership, or if it is a "cool car," they shift it to their specialty used car lot. If the car is not desirable (i.e., more than 3 or 4 years old with a lot of miles), they either sell it to a local used car lot, or send it to an auction.
I just checked several of the local Domestic Dealer's on-line inventory for Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords:
Bobby Murray Cherolet - 1 Toyota, 13 Fords Sir Walter Chevrolet - 1 Honda, 1 Ford Leith Ford - 1 Toytoa, 1 Honda, 58 Fords Leith Toyota - 44 Toyotas, 12 Hondas, 17 Fords Leith Honda - 61 Hondas, 3 Toyotas, 3 Fords Chris Leith Chevrolet - 7 Toyotas, 5 Hondas, 17 Fords Capital Ford - 55 Toytas, 62 Hondas, 820 Fords Crossroads Ford (Cary) - 3 Hondas, 6 Toytoas, 97 Fords Crossroads Ford (Wake Forest) - 2 Hondas, 7 Toyotas, 89 Fords Rick Hendrick Chevrolet - 2 Toyotas, 3 Fords Crown Honda - 5 Toyotas, 0 Fords, 21 Hondas Autopark Honda (Leith) - 70 Hondas, 0 Fords, 7 Toyotas

I really agree with this. And even the fuel efficient cars they do have are poorly marketed. Ford spends many more dollars advertising trucks than cars.
Ed

I suppose there's a disconnect between the goals of a multi-brand dealer and the goals of FoMoCo but it would seem to me that you should be able to sell some Fusions by stocking up on a few ToyOnda CamCords to bring in people who are interested in a CamCord and then selling them a brand-new Fusion instead.
If the Fusion's the world-beater that Ford would like us to think it is, a test drive and the opportunity to buy a new one for the same price as an n year old CamCord should be a winning strategy.

While I tend to think your suggested strategy makes sense, why wouldn't Leith send ALL the Brand X vehicles to the Brand X lot? Do they keep only the undesireable Brand Y's on the Brand X lot? Would Brand Y on the Brand X lot be, as I suggested, "bait?" And a Brand X on a Brand X lot sells for the best price?

I don't think this would work. It might work if you had dual new car dealerships on the same site, but then the dealer is going to try and the sell the vehicle that makes him the most money. From what I have seen, dealership make more money on good quality used cars traded-in than on new cars. I usually don't try to trade in cars because the dealers don't give you enough for them. I did have a recent interesting experience. I had a 2004 Ford Thunderbird in first rate condition. My desires changed and I decided to sell it. I advertised it for months and got no calls. Finally I got a call from a Ford dealer about 120 miles away. They offered me about $500 less than my asking price, but I decided to take it. They sent some one here to pick up the car. Later, I checked their web site, they were asking $31,000 for the car (I bought it 2 years before for $26,000 in Florida as a 1 year old used car). The next week it was no longer on their web site. I assume they sold it. I though this was ridiculous. I would much rather buy a used car from an individual owner than from a car lot. It appears that average people would prefer to buy from a dealer, even if, as in this case, they have to pay a lot more for the exact same car (I sold the car for $23,000).

This is an uphill battle. I know people who have had absolutely horrible Toyotas who won't consider anything else. No matter what is wrong with their Toyota, they just "know" everything else is worse. In my opinion, the press reinforces this. More Toyotas were recalled in 2005, than Fords, yet if you only read the main stream press, you would think that every Ford ever made had been recalled, and no Toyotas were recalled.

I believe the used car manager hangs on to vehicles he feels he can sell quickly for a good profit. If, in his/her experience, a particular vehicle won't sell from his/her lot, he/she sends it to another location or wholesales it. Leith Toyota has a raised platform out in front that always has a non-Toyota used vehicle with a low price on the side in large numerals. I haven't decided if this is done to lure in Customers so they can switch them to other cars, or if they are trying to convince people that non-Toyotas have lousy resale value. There have been a lot of SUVs on the platform recently.
Ed