anoying clatter

Im hoping someone has had this noise.When my engine is at idle there is an anoying clatter,when i rev it up or just drive it goes away.I have removed the serp belt and the clatter stops.All pumps such
as air power stering alt and water pump function fine.no overheating no charging problems nostearing problems.I have checked the pulleys and there is no slack or play in any of them.I used the old hockey stick against the ear method and all bearings seem fine. Can anyone give any suggestions.Its a 92 topaz,2.3 engine 4 cylinder(americans) Thanks.

Really hard to tell from what you describe - a rattle? My 2.3 had such a noise, and it was the catalytic converter shroud rattling.
I've heard many 4 cylinder engines that were noisy at idle.
I'd bet on a harmonic balancer, topaz/tempo are know for this problem.
John