any advantage to using sythetic oil in over 100,000 mileage truck

i get my oil changed regularly, and was wondering if any advantaqge to switching to new synthtic oil

At 100,00 miles? Naw, the only advantage would come from easier cold starts..provided you lived in an area that experiences sub-zero temps. Otherwise, I stick to Dino. Syn might even loosen up stuf that is better left stuck.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Only advantage would be to keep the engine at the state it's at now... say you want it to easily make it to 200k.
As far as it loosening stuff up, that's right... but just change the filter at 500 or so and again at 1500 till your first change and it'll be fine..
And use purolater or motorcraft filters

I wonder, is it worth while to use one of those engine flushes first, when you switch from dino to syn?

I would recommend against flushes. Do you know what it in them?
I think you are best off going strait to synthetic.
I agree with Backyard Mechanic, except that I would recommend Wix and NAPA filters (they are the same filters, just different brands) as well.
Jeff
Jeff opined in

No... Jeff is right...loosening the hard varnish and crud does not magically happen with a flush, It happens over time. That's why I said to change the filter often in the first run
Jeff wrote:

A while back someone posted in depth testing results for filters. Purolator One was the best.
Frank
F.H. wrote:

Correction: Purolator Premium One.

Wix and NAPA are both made by Dana corp. and are excellent filters. I believe that Motorcraft is also a Dana product. They care the best in my opinion. I would rate all three the same and Purolator a close second. We used to cut them apart with a large pipe cutter to examine the filter media, general construction, by pass valve etc.
Brian

Motor flushes generally cause more harm than good. They loosen up carbon and sludge then can plug the oil pump pick up screen. I'd stay away from them, been there and screwed myself.
Brian
el Diablo opined

Thank you!
It should be mentioned that flushing the coolant system after years of neglect ALSO can cause problems... the simple answer is to do periodic specific gravity and sight/acidity tests ... or simply drain, plain water flush, and replace coolant once every two years.
You DO NOT need to get "All the old gunk out" because there's very little of it.
X-No-Archive:Yes Yes, There is one distinct advantage to using synthetic oil. You will replace the engine sooner, before the next round of price increases of engine rebuilds. Could be a 10% savings! @1% net 30 due .16% savings BeeVee

net 30 due .16% savings

Wrong. There is significantly less engine wear with good synthetic oil.
Jeff
net 30 due .16% savings

I agree 100%. I've used fully synthetic for over 10 years and have loaded motors with miles and they run like they have half the miles that are actually on them.
Brian