any ideas on freeing up a stuck fuel pump from sitting too long?

90 mustang GT - sitting in garage - tank has been full, but fuel is more than one year old. still smells ok - not stale. can't hear the pump run when key is turned on. fuel shut off trip and fuel pump relay is ok
and have checked the power to leads going to electric pump - it's getting power.
so, that brings us back to the original problem - any shortcuts to freeing up the pump from sitting.......
thanks ~ curtis
c palmer opined in

The old"whack the tank with 2x4" trick..MAY work
needs assistant, whack while power applied

Backyard Mechanic opined in

Here's another idea for a temporary free-up from its stupor.
disconnect both leads from interlock, get a mower or motorcycle battery; using jumper cables put the relay side wire to neg post, pump side wire to positve post.
Now Switch ign on. Bet it starts ..the increased voltage should jolt it free, unless it's totally shot. And no, it wont immediatley burn out in the 2 second cycle.
After it runs, remove battery from the circuit.
For 80's, early 90's EECIV only
I cant recommend doing that on later OBDII models with pump run sensing because I dont know how it's wired to sense... it could burn something out.

many thanks - i'm going to give them a try - the worst is i'll have to replace the pump. if they work, i'll post the results of what did or did not work.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so." http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:15:21 -0600, PALMER snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (c palmer) wrote:

Don't be suprised it if runs rough. :)
Oh, after all is done, get your fuel filter replaced with a new one.
imho,
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:24:57 -0600, PALMER snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (c palmer) wrote:

sounds like some varnish came out of the gasoline, you might try searching for something that will unvarnish the gas. Maybe a fuel cleaner, let it sit for a while to disovle it. Just a guess.
later,
tom @ www.URLBee.com