Any knowledgable opinion to offer on the 1979 Ford Ranchero

Does anyone have a knowledgeable opinion to offer on the 1979 Ford Ranchero?
Experience with maintenance and the pros and cons. Hard or easy to find parts - are they comparatively expensive to other
similar cars/trucks? Experience with the reliability? Usually with all vehicles there is always one "problem" that seems to plague all cars of the similar make and model, are any that you know of with the Ranchero? What is the stock engine size? Etc...
My neighbor is selling his and it is in really nice condition; I'm thinking about purchasing it but want to know as much as I can.
Any help would be great!
Thanks,
StratoMan
I'd like to offer a response that's a LITTLE off-topic.
What you ask is quite pertinent when analysing the purchase of a late model used car.... but even then there are some variables.
Once a vehicle approaches the "classic" age, the maintenance and "reliability" factors simply dont figure in.
WHat NEEDS to have been updated probably has... and if it hasnt, there's no way of knowing it ever will need to be.
Parts availability DOES... but you can research the practical side of that by simply going to a parts counter and pricing shocks, brakes, brake cylinders... etc
It will NEVER be as reliable to use as a daily driver as a 5 year old Crown Vic would... but if it's in good shape it shouldnt be a lot worse either.
Judging from the # of hits I got on the same year and model for sale, I'd say it's a pretty good bet .. both as a collectible and for NOT being a crusher candidate when taken to a scrapper. Meaning there will be body parts around. The car came with both 302 and 351W.
StratoMan opined in