Any 'normal' BCI size battery for 98 Contour?

My daughter has a 98 Contour -- so far all I've found out is it takes a BCI code 40R battery. Costco doesn't carry that, is there a decent common BCI size battery I can subsitute successfully for the 40R size
in this car?
Thanks,
Norm
"Father Guido" wrote

Depends on the size of the tray, hold-down method, etc.
Different sites, slightly different "official" BCI sizes...
http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/battery-bci/battery-bci-size.htm http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm http://www.batteryoutlet.org/CarBatteries.htm
Looks like a 42 & 90 aren't quite as long. 91 is about the same size. You don't want a taller one, or the posts might hit the hood.
Of course, just because it physically fits doesn't mean it has the proper cranking amps or reserve power for the application.
Have you considered an actual automotive battery store, rather than a place that primarily sells "bargain" 50-gallon drums of ketchup?
says...

The Contour was mainly designed for the European market (where it's called Mondeo.) Consider biting the bullet and getting the proper battery. When my '95 Mystique (Mercury version of Contour) needed a battery, I ended up with a Sears 'International' battery due to it's odd size and reverse post locations (the R in 40R.)
Check out www.contour.org. The Forums have many knowledgeable people who may know alternatives.
When it comes to auto batteries, don't be too cheap. A cheap battery can cost more in the long run if it dies in a short time. The 11/04 issue of Consumer Reports recently tested batteries. They only tested the more common sizes, and uses a more realistic test (industry tests charge at a higher voltage than a normal car does, giving higher CCA ratings), but it might give some help.
ƒMy daughter has a 98 Contour -- so far all I've found out is it takes ƒa BCI code 40R battery. Costco doesn't carry that, is there a decent ƒcommon BCI size battery I can subsitute successfully for the 40R size ƒin this car? ƒ ƒThanks, ƒ ƒNorm
Thanks guys for the info, I'll be checking out your links closely. Never even thought about the R (reverse) angle, that does make a huge difference alright. As far as Costco goes, there batteries are made by Johnson Controls, which make just about all the car batteries for every brand anyway, so the Costco brand would be on par with Motorcraft, Die Hard, Interstate, etc.
Thanks again,
Norm
I've replaced mine with a WalMart battery, #41-4 that's made by Johnson Controls (I think?). Just had to remove that heat sheild and it dropped right in and clamped down
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 20:27:32 GMT, "On the Path"
ƒI've replaced mine with a WalMart battery, #41-4 that's made by ƒJohnson Controls (I think?). Just had to remove that heat sheild and ƒit dropped right in and clamped down
Thanks for the info.
It's really funny, the battery itself says 40R on it, which supposedly means reversed terminals -- so just finding a battery that fits probably shouldn't work. Yet when I look at the battery, with the terminals on the far side away from me, the + is on the left, and the - is on the right. That's the same terminal layout as my Camry, which has a 26L battery, and supposedly is a left +. So, maybe the R means something different then. In any case a 41 is much more common than 40R to find. My wifes Taurus says it only takes a 58R battery, but it also has the same terminal layout that the Contour and Camry have. Go figure.
Thanks again!
Norm

which on their other batteries is always on the left side. For $59.95 i can buy a motorcraft battery in this size at a dealer! too much for my daughters car? No! spend some of that money you cheap S.O.B.
Autozone carries the 40R series battery now...