Any Problems at Pep Boys?

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had ethics problems at = any Pep Boys stores.

I had 2 worn front tires to replace - otherwise the car was fine. PB = put on 2 of their store-brand tires, balanced them and that's all. I = picked it up and went straight from PB to the highway and at 60-65 mph = the steering wheel vibrated like crazy. Had to slow to below 60 to stop = the shaking.

Next morning I took it back to PB and they balanced it again and checked = the suspension. Told me the wheel was bent. Also that it needed front = wheel bearings, and the hub nut was loose. I had just replaced the = bearings a couple weeks before by my regular mechanic, so I took it back = to them. They checked and said bearings and hub were fine.

Took it back to PB and they put on 2 new same type tires balanced again = but then switched the back to front. I went straight to the highway to = test and the front was fine but chassis was slightly shaking from the = new rear tires.

Took it to a reputable tire place in town and they checked the new tires = and found the wheels was fine, but the tires were out of round. On the = spin machine I could see that the wheel was straight and both tires = wobbled in and out, and up and down. They wrote all this on the = receipt.

Back to PB, and they replaced the tires with 2 more of the next better = quality but same PB brand. Spin balanced and I had them put the new ones = back on the front. Back on the road - vibration again.

Back to regular mechanic and he said these new tires were out of round = also.

Getting irritated by now. So I took it to the Ford dealer who balanced = them under load. Ford service mgr told me wheels, bearing, suspension, = etc., were all fine. Each tire had 5-6 weights on them, inside and = outside. They pulled them all off and balanced with 1-2 weights each. = Tires are on the front and just fine now at all speeds - no vibration, = etc.

I called the PB serv manager and told him how the problem was solved - I = never asked him for the $50 I spent at the other shops or the 5 trips = and waiting for hours at his and other shops.

The PB serv mgr got irritated that "he had spent so much time on this" = and "he could not please me." Plus now he has "gone thru 4 tires that = he can't sell as new." I told him he only lost a few minutes and that I = had lost 5 days plus $50 on other shops testing and fixing problems he = created.

I never asked for and $$ back and really only wanted to let him know = that they had a problem in that shop. But the guy never acknowledged = that they could have a problem -- and never admitted that their = diagnosis of bad suspension, bad bearings, etc., was wrong.

While waiting at PB, I struck up conversations with several customers = and found that they all were there for re-fixes of one kind of another.

Here's the reason for this posting....

Tonight I told a neighbor about this, and he said he was in another PB = store waiting for his car, and overheard that serv mgr tell a mechanic = to be sure and do some extra work on an elderly lady's car so they could = charge her more. (Not work that it needed -- unnecessary work.)

I'm wondering if these are isolated to these PB stores or if this is = could a company policy to defraud customers.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Pep Boys stores.

[...]

Nope - wont go to them or any chain brand like that...

I have my own mechanic I trust for 20 years and drive 25 miles to bring my cars to.

As far as tires, I don't play around with store brand/chinese stuff. However, I do order them from tire-rack.com after I can read reviews from people with a particular tire on my exact vehicle. When the UPS guy drops them off, I have my mechanic put them on for me. I haven't used one of tire-racks recommended local installer yet, but I'm sure they are good.

Reply to
IYM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 02:56:29 -0700, "Guv Bob" wrote Re Any Problems at Pep Boys?:

that they all were there for re-fixes of one kind of another.

snip

waiting for his car, and overheard that serv mgr tell a mechanic to be sure and do some extra work on an elderly lady's car so they could charge her more. (Not work that it needed -- unnecessary work.)

Sounds about right for PB.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Boys stores.

[...]

company policy to defraud customers. Don't know about PepBoys - we don't have those bandits in Ontario - but MANY (I'd be pretty safe to say MOST) national chain shops - tire shops, muffler shops, brake shops, lube shops, etc - are infamous for the combination of poor workmanship and questionable (at best) ethics.

Much better to deal with a good private shop

Reply to
clare

My local P Boys for a long time had a sign on the door... forget the exact wording but in effect said they didn't accept legal service at that location, and referred any and all interested to their downtown LA office.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

LOL! That must be good for bidness, eh. The sad part of my ordeal is = that the young fellers who worked there are not being taught how to use = the equipment. Either that or are being taught to cheat sweet innocent = folks not unlike myself. (;O)

Reply to
Guv Bob

young fellers who worked there are not being taught how to use the equipment. Either that or are being taught to cheat sweet innocent folks not unlike myself. (;O)

I've been a licenced mechanic since 1971, and I went to apply for a job one day at a major tire retailer's shop. Thequestion I was asked at the interview was "can you sell?" My reply was " I can explain what is wrong with a customer's car and sell him the required repairs". The question came back - "can you sell?" After the second or third time I had pretty well figured them out and I told them I'd come back and take the job running the store after they were locked up in jail. They were not too happy with that answer.

At the time, they were advertizing the position as "earn upwards of $50,000 per year" - the base salary was something like $10,000, and a licensed mechanic made about $8 per hour - or about $18,000 per year. Just to make a "good living" you needed to sell a lot of extras - and to make $50,000 a year you needed to be really badly bent.

Reply to
clare

is that the young fellers who worked there are not being taught how to = use the equipment. Either that or are being taught to cheat sweet = innocent folks not unlike myself. (;O)

Well, I was cleaning up this morning and ran across the Pep Boys = "discount" shopper card. Cut it up in leeeeeeeetle bitty pieces then = warshed muh hands reel good with lye soap.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Dude, dont go to pepboys they really suck at what their doing. Years ago i had a bad AC compressor and they "atempted" to try and fix this by installing a newer compressor. 3 times did that specific pump fail. Each time they took the old one off and put a replacement (which of course failed) The last compressor installed lasted for about 2 weeks before the AC stopped pumping out cool air. My guess is that they didnt secure the hoses correctly or checked for any leaks with the AC refrigerant. (so i never went back and lost my money and my faith with them. Hopefully a giant meteor can come crashing down on the corporate bussiness of whoever is running the whole chain..its absoultely ridiculous)

Reply to
Edwin T.