Anybody here have a ford escape?

What do you think of the Escape? I just purchased one, and I love it so far! It is not an Explorer, but for me, affordable.
Steve

I have an '02 XLT w/14K miles (bought new), and I love it! Just got back from Florida (I'm in SC) and got 25MPG @75-85MPH with enough luggage for 2 for a week. The ride was great, and it was plenty powerful to pass when necessary. It's exactly what I was looking for- larger than the Mitsu Outlander, but smaller than an Expedition or Explorer (though not by much on the Explorer, especially the Explorer Sport). Try www.escape-central.com for other Escapees. Enjoy!! Tom F.

Steve, We bought it's cousin, the Tribute ('01) new here in Orlando. Got the 6-cyl.. before you had to buy up to the LX model the second year of production. Only complaint is interior noise level - it's quite a noisy vehicle - lots of air and tire rumble. Otherwise, it's been mech. very sound. I wonder if the Ford version is any quieter. Let me know! Bob/Orlando

Road noise is an issue with a lot of people on the Escape/Tribute. I test drove both before buying, noise was the same, the Tribute had a slightly smoother ride, but I liked the looks of the escape better. My other car is a Mercury Tracer, so highway noise is nothing new to me, used to it I guess.
Steve

Steve Carroll wrote:

You need to get road-only tires on it. It's not a real 4*4 in any case, so with some normal tires, the road noise goes almost completely away.

test
is
guess.
so
Mine's a 4x2, so in my case, you're correct. Some Escape 4x4 owners may take exception, though.:-) I've heard that the Michelin's are a lot quieter than the Connies that come OEM, but it's not worth $600-700 to me to make it run a little quieter on the highway. Of course, that's just me- I'm sure lots of people have changed out perfectly good tires for quieter ones. Tom F.
Get the Michelin CrossTerrains. We replaced the OEM Firestones with them for around $400-450, and they've been well worth it, Much better handling, and QUIET.

slightly
car
take
come