Anyone ever try to lubricate an E-brake cable?

Question is, if I coat my sticking e-brake cables (wound in a metal cover, not plastic) can I free them from sticking? Anyone ever try this?
CJB

CJB opined in

Yeah....I'm cheap, I've done it. But that rust that's in there is just going to float around. And WD 40 aint enough... have to use engine oil at the least.
I'd say it's a temporary fix that COULD cause trouble at the worst time.

Absolutely that is a temporary fix. The proper way to free up a cable is to just cut the damn thing and do with out it.
CJB wrote:

When I was in the service business, I lubed all the brake cables & bleeders with a "Castle" brand spray lubricant, as part of the LUBE, Oil, & Filter service, as long as I was under the car anyway, and so if the vehicle did come in later for service, it was easier to do some chores.
I've not heard of anyone doing anything like this anymore.
Rob
I've done it on a '75 Dodge cube van that I used to own. Had to get the brake drums off, which required removing the axles on that truck. Lubing the cables requires TWO people to do it right. One to sit inside and actuate it, on and off, while you get under it and apply oil or grease. I used 85W140. That seems to be the best compromise for what would do the job and still work it's way up the sheath. Tell your helper that they'll be working that cable a hundred times, or more, to get the oil way up in there. Scott snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Your cables are rusty now, forget lubing them. I just replaced my F-150's for $20 a side. Easy and cheap.
GOD BLESS THE USA Member of IPCO- International Pest Control Operators Public message board- http://www.ipconetwork.org/fmb/cboard.mv
Mystery oil works well. Blow it in a bit with some air. If it's rusted real bad junk the cable.
An old timer showed me how to gob waterproof grease on the entrances and exits to the cables, keeps the junk out. Also keeps junk in so keep an eye on it
Works on bleeders as well.
L8tr

Thanks, guys. I was able to find the left and right for about $20 each, so I bought new ones.
CJB

For the benefit of the group, a good penetrating oil will do the trick if you are in a hurry, like liquid wrench. Just get underneath the vehicle and wet the cables down, apply the e-brake, release, apply, etc., wet down once more, etc. until the cable(s) get unstuck. Did this last year, no problems since.
Matt
Matt opined in

yes.. been there, done that,
and you will probably be doing it again, soon.