Anyone know the transmission type/name for this car?

Page 1 of 2
It's a 2002 ford taurus. I checked Ford's website and found info with the VIN Code. I found the ENGINE TYPE "U" is as VULCAN engine 3.0 liter V-6 OHV w/155 HP. But I can't locate the Transmission type or
name of it for this car.
Anyone know the transmission type/name for this car?
Or what is most likely the type/name of the Tranny?
thanks a bunch
This site is a Ford site. Put your vin number in and then you will get the Ford part number.....
http://www.motorcraft.com/catalog.do?from=page
Pedro Sanchez IV wrote:

--
Been riding for 57 years.

On The Date of Thu, 08 Oct 2009 15:48:40 -0400, Old Harley Rider

It just says 4-speed auto tranny, I found by the door jam sticker it's a AX4N" non synchronnous Automatic Transmission. I was wondering if some symptoms I am having are typical for that tranny.
Said:

Probably, they are prone to problems.
Steve R.
What makes you think that? I have seen thousands Taurus' in fleet service run to 200,000 miles that never had a tranny problem. If one does the proper preventive maintenance most any vehicle can be run to 200K or more
Said:

Mike Hunter wrote:

http://www.autosafety.org/ford-automatic-4-speed
So yes, the AX4N transmission is prone to problems.
Jeff

Like I said if one does NOT do the proper preventive maintenance most any vehicle will NOT be likely be run to 200K or more. ;)
Said:

Mike Hunter wrote:

Proper maintenance doesn't mean that a transmission will last for 300,000 km, however, as I demonstrated. Proper maintenance is necessary for a vehicle or just its transmission to last a long time, but sufficient, as shown in the case of the problem-prone AX4N and related transmissions.
Or in other words, yes, the AX4N is prone to problems that regular maintenance doesn't solve.
Jeff

You certainly are entitled to your own opinion, no matter how convoluted it may be. The fact is we did not have problems with that tranny on the thousands of fleet cars we serviced and that was what I posted.
But as I recall you are one of those that seem to believe SUVs were "Prone" to roll over because their center of gravity is an inch or so greater than average, regardless of the physical facts to the contrary LOL
Said:

Mike Hunter wrote:

My opinion is not convoluted. It is simply that good maintenance does not guarentee long life of any product, particularly transmissions that are poorly designed or otherwise flawed.

I didn't say *you* did. However, other people did. I am really surprised that any model of car had no problems. After all, you say every product has a 2% defect rate. That would have to include transmissions.
Or to put it another way, I think you're full of crap and don't know what your talking about.

Really? Well, I tend to believe the folks who know what they are doing, such as those at the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, who study these sort of things for a living than a retired dealer who has shown little ability to integrate new information as well as little ability to make intelligent conclusions.
Here's an article from the LA Times about this: http://eetd.lbl.gov/EA/teepa/pdf/LA-Times.pdf
I recommend that you search the NHTSA site if you wish to learn more about this. Of course, your proven ability to comprehend anything is low, but do your best.

As I said you certainly are entitled to your own opinion, no matter how convoluted it may be. Look up the word prone, WBMA. If you do you will find the opposite it true, in both instances. LOL
Said:

Mike Hunter wrote:

In other words, you can't understand English, so even though what I am saying is clear to a 1st grader, you call it "convoluted."
I am sorry that is the best you can do.
I hope you have a great day.
Jeff

That's it run away, again. Once again you are not wiling to do a search that would change what you chose to believe. You remind me of the three close minded monkey's.
Said:

You do realize that that web site is primarily a trail lawyer web site that is trolling for clients?
Ed
Our friend Jeff is not an attorney, he has a "dr," from the DeVry Institute. If you follow his posts, he appears to be "prone" to believe in most all of the conspiracy theories ;)

Mike Hunter wrote:

Actually, the MD is from Hahnemann Univ and the MA is from City College.

Really? What conspiracy theories do think I believe?
Jeff

Based on just some of your previous post, Bush lied about WMDs, SUVs are prone to roll over, gasket problems were cause by bad designs and the biggest, Global Warning is cause by man, just to name a scant few. LOL
As to the last one search the Drudge report for "Not Evil Just Wrong" and click on all of the videos at the end of the U tube shown there and expand your knowledge on that subject, WBMA

Mike Hunter wrote:

So a more accurate assessment is that I believe things for which I have done independent research. That I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I believe in conspiracy theories.

Instead of taking your poor advice, I will continue to get my information from authorative and accurate sources.
Jeff

Ya' right. Every one I mention IS a conspiracy, however. You simply chose the believe the sources you have searched and refuse, or are incapable of searching for opposing views, even when you have been directed to sources that can expand your knowledge on a particular subject....., not smart.

Mike Hunter wrote:

ROTFL!
You have a far less secure grip on reality than I had thought before. You really need to consult a gerontologist to get help with your mental function.
Jeff