Anyone know the transmission type/name for this car?

It's a 2002 ford taurus. I checked Ford's website and found info with the VIN Code. I found the ENGINE TYPE "U" is as VULCAN engine 3.0 liter V-6 OHV w/155 HP. But I can't locate the Transmission type or name of it for this car.

Anyone know the transmission type/name for this car?

Or what is most likely the type/name of the Tranny?

thanks a bunch

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

Old Harley Rider

Bottom lines of your VIN decal.... there is a listing "TR".... beneath that a single letter.... If it it a then you have the AX4S trans. If the letter is a then you have the AX4N trans...

Now... the S stands for synchronous and the N stands for non-synchronous... we'll leave it at that for now....

Additionally, the AX4S is the old AXOD transmission renamed... and the letters AXOD will be stamped in the main control cover. The AX4N has, at some time in the past, been re-identified as the 4F50N...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Did you try your local ford dealership? Surely someone there will know.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Below the TR it has an X letter, so it's the "AX4N" non synchronnous Automatic Transmission..

Is there anything I can learn from that, now that I know which tranny I have?

Is the tranny known as a work horse or a lot of problems?

I appreciate your help.

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

It just says 4-speed auto tranny, I found by the door jam sticker it's a AX4N" non synchronnous Automatic Transmission. I was wondering if some symptoms I am having are typical for that tranny.

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

Probably, they are prone to problems.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

What makes you think that? I have seen thousands Taurus' in fleet service run to 200,000 miles that never had a tranny problem. If one does the proper preventive maintenance most any vehicle can be run to 200K or more

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So yes, the AX4N transmission is prone to problems.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Like I said if one does NOT do the proper preventive maintenance most any vehicle will NOT be likely be run to 200K or more. ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Proper maintenance doesn't mean that a transmission will last for

300,000 km, however, as I demonstrated. Proper maintenance is necessary for a vehicle or just its transmission to last a long time, but sufficient, as shown in the case of the problem-prone AX4N and related transmissions.

Or in other words, yes, the AX4N is prone to problems that regular maintenance doesn't solve.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

You certainly are entitled to your own opinion, no matter how convoluted it may be. The fact is we did not have problems with that tranny on the thousands of fleet cars we serviced and that was what I posted.

But as I recall you are one of those that seem to believe SUVs were "Prone" to roll over because their center of gravity is an inch or so greater than average, regardless of the physical facts to the contrary LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My opinion is not convoluted. It is simply that good maintenance does not guarentee long life of any product, particularly transmissions that are poorly designed or otherwise flawed.

I didn't say *you* did. However, other people did. I am really surprised that any model of car had no problems. After all, you say every product has a 2% defect rate. That would have to include transmissions.

Or to put it another way, I think you're full of crap and don't know what your talking about.

Really? Well, I tend to believe the folks who know what they are doing, such as those at the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, who study these sort of things for a living than a retired dealer who has shown little ability to integrate new information as well as little ability to make intelligent conclusions.

Here's an article from the LA Times about this:

I recommend that you search the NHTSA site if you wish to learn more about this. Of course, your proven ability to comprehend anything is low, but do your best.

Reply to
dr_jeff

As I said you certainly are entitled to your own opinion, no matter how convoluted it may be. Look up the word prone, WBMA. If you do you will find the opposite it true, in both instances. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

As far as I know it's the same one the Windstar used. just look it up on the web. Some last a long time, many don't. AX4N was a bit better than the earlier AX4S,AXOD etc were not very good in the Windstar.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

In other words, you can't understand English, so even though what I am saying is clear to a 1st grader, you call it "convoluted."

I am sorry that is the best you can do.

I hope you have a great day.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

That's it run away, again. Once again you are not wiling to do a search that would change what you chose to believe. You remind me of the three close minded monkey's.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You do realize that that web site is primarily a trail lawyer web site that is trolling for clients?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Some may have that opinion but it always has to do with proper maintenance. If there were actually a design defect in any product, as the phrase "prone to fail" indicates then they would all be failing and that was never the case.

We had the same situation with failing gaskets in the 3.8 engine. Because some fleet vehicles accumulate mileage more quickly than private vehicles, and we did the proper maintenance, we discovered failing gasket long before the engine was damaged by diluted oil, and changed the gasket. Fleets were also the first to realize that the replacement gasket was not correcting the problem.

It was a result of what fleets first discovered that led Ford to begin litigation with the gasket manufacturers, who were blaming owner negligence as the cause. Similar to Toyotas contention that owner negligence was the cause their "oil sludge" problem, when in fact both the gasket problem and the sludge problem we manufacturing problems by the gasket manufacturers and with Toyota new head design that led to oil "coking" around the valves. I was deposed by Ford legal council as a witness for Ford in the pending litigation.

The result of Fords ligation was an out of court settlement that helped all manufacturers, using gaskets with asbestos replacement materials that were not up to the job, to agree to pay 80% of the cost of fixing engines. However by then reputations were damaged

In Toyotas case the result was an extend warranty on those engines that were effected by their sludge problem, after we produced records that verified that sludge was occurring in engines that fleets serviced, at the propter times, using the proper filter and oil. Toyota dealers, using the proper filter and oil at the propter times, were starting to see the sludge in engines, as well.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Our friend Jeff is not an attorney, he has a "dr," from the DeVry Institute. If you follow his posts, he appears to be "prone" to believe in most all of the conspiracy theories ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter