Anyone know what the small levels are for above the headlights on a '98 Contour?

They're inside the hood above the headlight position. Are they for adjusting the headlights someway? I don't have an owners manual but the drivers side level seems to indicate it points down more than the
one on the passenger side, which is what headlights should do.
says...

Ask on www.contour.org
Yes, the levels are for aiming the headlights. The car must be on a level surface (perpendicular to the ground) to use them properly.
Father Guido wrote:

ØYes, the levels are for aiming the headlights. The car must be on a Ølevel surface (perpendicular to the ground) to use them properly.
Thanks for the clarification!
Shouldn't the car be parallel to the ground?

Yes, but wouldn't be more fun to watch him try with it perpendicular.
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:30:26 -0400, Tom F. wrote:

No. The car could be parallel to the ground, and still be on a hill, and that wouldn't work.
Steve wrote:

Just funnin' with you. The key word is "level" ground. The car, sitting on its wheels, will be parallel to the ground whether it's level ground or on a hill. Perpendicular would have the car resting on one of its bumpers or either side. Of course, it could also be parallel if it was resting on its roof. SC Tom

It's really tough to write a 'spec' that isn't subject to some interpretation. When I wrote perpendicular, my (internal) frame of reference was the mean gravitational center of the oblate spheroid on which we all reside. :)