Anyone remember the MK VII Diesel?

Hi folks, I recently picked up an 84 MK VII. Nice car, very good condition, I really like it. It had some minor problems but is now a respectable vehicle. While looking for manuals, parts, etc. I found out that in 1984 and maybe 1985 they were available with a european design turbo-diesel. I have seen a few on E-bay and they are discussed on the Lincolnsonline forum occasionally. I've got a fondness for oddball or under appreciated cars, in my teens everyone wanted a Camaro, I wanted a Firebird, guys were gaga over Mustangs, I liked the Cougars. I even had a Tempo Diesel for a while. I loved that car but it rusted away. I was thinking it would be sort of cool to have a Diesel LSC. Do any of the long time Ford Techs remember this engine. I have never seen one and remember the GM 5.7 Oil burner(leaker, rocker arm trasher, HG blower, etc) debacle, I worked on so many of them I think I still fart carbon. I guess I'm asking if these engines were any good, even in 1984. Would it be worth buying one for a part time driver, ie:toy? I can ask this question on the Lincoln forum but I need an unbiased answer. (A good friend has an 82 Olds 98 Smoker that is trouble free after 122K, he of course, says "Hell Yeah, buy one"). When I think Good Automotive Diesel Engine, I think Mercedes. They have built one for years (I cool my garage with an old Thermo King unit powered by a Mercedes, don't ask, it was cheap and easy to repair, and a fun quirky project. Yea, I've got issues). Did the Mk VII diesel flop because it was problematic or because of the bad GM Diesel publicity and poor public reception by the American public for oil burners at the time? I appreciate all input, Tom

Reply to
remove

It's a B.M.W. 2.4 liter 6 cylinder. Pretty much the same thing that's in the

524 (5 series diesel..duh) And while you're thinking "oddball", look for an International Carryall with the Nissan 6 cylinder diesel. IIRC was rated at 24 mpg hwy.
Reply to
Sans Nom

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

The diesel you are referring to was a straight six BMW engine, came with a 4 speed automatic or a Getrag five speed manual tranny, as I recall. VERY rare car, less than 5,000 were sold.

mike hunt

remove wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover