At a Decision Point with 96-Sable

I have a 96 Sable LS with a Duractec engine with ~240K km. I like everything about the car except the engine is burning a liter of oil every two gas tank fills and I had one of the spark plugs fly out 1.5 yrs ago
requiring an insert. As I start looking around at the price of new/newer vehicles, I am considering whether I should get an engine job done or replace the engine.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
David Puddy
I'd start checking the paper for '03 clearance sales............