Auto Companies: Open your own trade schools

Auto companies, I as a taxpayer think you guys have been playing us for suckers for a whole lot of years. We've been operating your automotive trade schools for your benefit. This is going to stop.
For the same reason as high schools do not teach Maytag washing machine repair, they must not teach car repairs. If Maytag needs a mechanic, they do what's right and hire a kid and teach him how to fix washers and dryers. If Ford needs a mechanic, they ought to own up and hire somebody and train him to fix Ford's jalopies.
Furthermore, even after the taxpayers spend themselves stupid on a voc. ed. auto shop course, the graduates are not fit to go immediately into the world of work. In other words, taxpayers spend a million dollars on a shop, hire a couple of highly paid ex-mechanics who teach what cars were like about 20 years ago, then the poor kid goes to a Ford dealer and answers a help-wanted ad only to find they want about 8 years work experience on Ford Fordomatics, preferably all within the last two calendar years. We're lucky more kids don't hang themselves!
No, the free ride is over, Ford, GM, and Chrysler Motors. You want mechanics, YOU foot the bill because we're through.
P.S. Parents, don't spend your life savings sending your kids to college. Outsourcing, factory closings, government cutbacks, and the general economy means your college graduate kids will be living in your home until they're 40 or you die first.
On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:39:41 +0200 (CEST), George Orwell

Bunch of crap. Schools should be teaching kids the basics of how things work. (Physics and chemistry are a good start) as part of the GENERAL course, and how more specific things(such as appliances, automobiles, radios and manufacturing) work, in a generic sense, in specialized courses. Nothing brand specific - but which end of a screwdriver to hold, how hydraulic and electrical systems work, what a diode or a transistor does, how to check electronic and electrical components, etc. One heck of a lot more usefull than sending them off to university for a general BA. Skilled and semiskilled trades are ONE job that won't be easily offloaded to third world countries. Repairs will almost have to be done locally.
As far as high school graduates being ready for the job market? Forty short years ago a technical high school graduate could earn his keep in his specialty, whether electrical, machine shop, automotive, or electronics.
Sadly, not so today.

When you do finally come up with something original, you are so far off the mark that one has to wonder where yiu graduated.
The first thing you need to do is stop mincing terms.... you start out on trade schools and then talk about learning washing machine repair in high schools....
Any educational institution has but one aim... to educate people so that they may find gainful employment and avoid becoming a burden on taxpayers.... As taxpayers, we aren't funding just automotive courses.... Look to (in Canada, at least) institutions such as NAIT or SAIT to see the vast array of courses they offer in different career paths....
Perhaps American Standard should start training plumbers so we wont have to watch our hard earned money get flushed down the crapper....
The educational system is only part of the equation... if parents have failed to instill some life basics in their children, many of these kids will be plain lousy students, anyway....
FWIW, if kids have had good role models, been shown the difference between right and wrong and the benefit of a decent education system, they will do well... My 19 year old son has a good job with room for advancement... and owns his own home.... (no, it wasn't given to him).
If there is a 40 year old still living at home, something is very, very wrong..
George Orwell wrote:

Actually I think we need more trade schools of all kinds. The majority of high school students are not suited to a career which includes at least four years of college. Much better to have them working productively with their hands creating and fixing things then sitting on their butts feeling sorry for themselves.
The fact is according to the US Department of Commerce site, for every five skilled jobs available in the US there are only three persons available to fill those jobs. As the boomers retire, over the next ten years, it will only get worse.
The way Americans are buying imports it may not matter since the jobs that can be done over seas will leave the country. What will be left will be at Wal-Mart and the fast food joints. Many employers will tell you they are lucky if they can get an employee who is trainable, will come to work as scheduled and will stay till the end of the shift, when they do show up.
mike

Troll alert. PDNFTT