Automatic Trannys - Vote Flush or No Flush?

This question applies to trannys in general but I wanted both groups to throw their opinions and experiences together. I got 86K miles on an 01' Escort and its foaming a little and it has slipped twice. I think the fluid is contaminated somehow. Does anyone know if Ford recommends or approves of ATF flushing or fluid exchanging, (or neither one)? You have all probably heard the horror stories of seals blowing out during a transverse (reverse) flush etc. I know there are inlet type vs. cooling line pump models and either probably works better than just dropping the pan alone.

Final thought also... does the Escort have a drain plug on the torque converter?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Did you ask the service department at the local Ford dealer?

Did you look on the ford web site?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

in article qN1ml.518050$TT4.382783@attbi_s22, Chuck at snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote on 2/15/09 3:44 PM:

well, at 86K miles ... you are coming up to the 90K miles R & R to all subsystems.

with the auto tranny ... do the repair and replace thingy as required, might be a tranmission filter in there to swap out - dunno.

however, if the transmission is solid, dry, no leaks ... (an do consider swapping out the driveshaft bearings while you are down there and chalk mark for exact replacement fit as it was balanced at the factory) I would recommend that you use Chevrolet Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

It really is worth the cost as to what you get performance wise, it is almost as good as Red Line products, but way cheaper. Ford synthetics are a bit more expensive and not as good IMO and all that rot.

With my experience, it took 400 miles for the tranmission I am working (3 speed diesel) with to adjust to the new Chevy synthetic tranmission fluid ... now it is real sweet to run and use.

sumbuddie hopes this helps

:?

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane

Did you ask the service department at the local Ford dealer?

Did you look on the ford web site?

Jeff

The local Ford dealership is doing the work this wednesday unless somebody here says "wait" before then. Any ideas about the converter plug??

Reply to
Chuck

The AMSOIL synthetic transmission fluid is less expensive that the G.M. stuff and is better quality.

Steve

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:41:08 -0600, Steve rearranged some electrons to say:

Please, take your spam somewhere else.

Reply to
david

Reply to
Tom

I vote no

Reply to
Fred
8% snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net...

Please, no ads.

Amsoil is a multilevel marketing scheme.

Keep your shit to yourself.

Reply to
Jeff

A transmission fluid exchange - yes... a "flush" using a chemical? - emphaticly NO....

FWIW, the cooler and lines can be reverse flushed - the transmission, however, cannot...

I know of shops that use their transmission "flushing" machine for fluid exchanges (sans chemicals) - it speeds the job up and makes a messy task much neater.

The workshop manual for 01 doesn't indicate the presence of a converter drain plug.

Now.... for the bad news... your transmission is already "complaining"... A fluid exchange is a MAINTENANCE operation - sadly, it sounds like there is going to be a REPAIR operation in your future.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I had a flush done on 93 Olds and 99 Ranger and had problems with both.

On the Olds, the trans would lock up in high gear after the trans warmed up. It would stall the engine everytime you had to stop.

The Ranger started having intermittent problems after a trans flush. You would be sitting at a stop light and after, maybe 5, 10 seconds, boom! The truck would lurch and you would swear you had been rear ended. Didn't happen a lot but more than a few times.

Drop the pan, change the filter with the fluid. The flush breaks stuff loose and causes problems.

Reply to
mark

Please, no ads.

Amsoil is a multilevel marketing scheme.

Keep your shit to yourself.

"I would recommend that you use Chevrolet Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid."

See my sig file --- I've sold plenty of the GM Synthetic ATF.

Just stating an alternative to paying top dollar for a product that isn't as good.

I wasn't off topic and wasn't SPAMMING. I was contributing to the conversation.

Go pick on the "car rearview camera, DVD, car accessories, miniture schnauzer posters.

At least my post had something to do with the conversation.

Reply to
Steve

Steve keeps spamming this group with his ads. He is typical of spamsoil dealers who want you to support their multi-level pyramid schemes. Most of the money spent on thier products go to commissions rather than R&D, so Spamsoil products are no longer API certified and their techology is becoming dated.

Reply to
rmac

Well... I dunno what Ford recommends but fresh clean fluid is always better than old burned nasty fluid. That said, at 86K miles you're already overdue for a fluid change. I personally would go ahead and do it, but keep in mind that while it may make it operate correctly again, it may not - and there is a possibility that a flush or fluid change may break loose some varnish or other gunk inside there and make it operate worse than it already does. The only 100% sure way to fix the issues you're having with your trans is to have it rebuilt by a reputable shop. That said you might as well try a fluid exchange (I would not recommend a flush with anything other than the recommended ATF) and a filter change and see what happens.

If it helps any I did have a fluid exchange and filter change done on my F-150 with E4OD at 130K plus miles with no apparent ill effects (knock wood.) I knew it was a crapshoot but I figured I'd rather err on the side of maintenance. (I also changed every other fluid in the vehicle save for the power steering; the latter simply because I haven't gotten motivated to do it yet. I am a big believer in a "drive it until it rusts away to nothing" philosophy of car ownership, although I tend to "trade up" my old beaters eventually anyhow. Hopefully the subsequent owners appreciate my efforts! I also am a big believer in synthetics, if no leaks are present.)

From here on out (and with any new car you get) you should really be changing the fluid every 50K miles, if you keep the car that long - no matter what the book says. Just MHO.

No idea.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

DEINITELY change the fluid. There are several ways to do it, depending onnhow the car is assembled (whether it has a TC drain or not)

It is recommended service on MOST cars.

Reply to
clare

You are spamming. Next time you will be reported to your ISP.

Reply to
Hairy

Well I dunno. Once drove a Ramcharger for couple hundred km and never had any tranny work done. Not even oil changes that I know of. The fleet manager said leave it alone when consulted during an engine oil change at Mr Lube. If you give Mr Lube the chance they'll do everything possible to your vehicle.

I've never touched trannys on any of my own vehicles. I don't know all the history of some and never drove them till the vehicle died. Only changed the lockup switch on a Celebrity at 250,000 km and that oil and pan was spotless. I put oil back in with new filter which I could have omitted.

Reply to
labatyd

I am on the schedule for a fluid exchange (not actual flush) for 9:30 in the morning. I have decided to roll the dice.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Job was done by 12:30 this afternoon. The fluid was exchanged (flushed is a bad word for this) and refilled with Mercon V ATF (synthetic). They used the cooler (vs. pump inlet) method. The technician said the old fluid was NOT burnt, just past its service life. The new synthetic fluid is a beautiful light clear red and almost looks clear until you wipe it off on a white shop towel. The original problem of foaming that was clearly visible on the dipstick is now gone. Time will tell if it ever slips again.

Reply to
Chuck

Well... it slipped again today just 3 days after a fluid exchange (flush). Of the 3 times it has slipped now, it always does it with the first 2 minutes after leaving the driveway. Seems like the colder winter weather is partly to blame? Damn... I hoped the flush would do it

Reply to
Chuck