Automatic Transmission fluid & filter change

I'm gonna sound like a total newbie here, but I've got two different advice from people I know...
I'm not that dumb, I can use tools, but it's one of my first automatic.
(the first worth caring for anyways :)
There seems to be two different opinions on fluid change.
The first one (goes along with the user's manual) says to change the fluid & filter at specified intervals.
The other is kinda of *don't try to fix it if it ain't broken*
My guess is regular changes will keep my '99 Grand Marquis LS happy. Car is used mainly on highways, it is *not* a beat up car, and has around 60,000 miles on it. got it at 45,000 something, so I don't really know the history for the tranny. It's not slipping, stalling, gear-hunting or anything, but I'd like to keep it as long as possible. Doesn't smell funny, color is as it should. BTW, it's got an extra cooler on it.
Worth it, or waste of money?
If I do it, regular or Synthetic?
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

El Bandito wrote:

Go for it. It's young enough. I would (& I do) use Mercon V.
If it was at 200,000 miles and working fine, fluid looks good, I'd leave it alone & watch the level.
Rob

Forget what anyone who says "don't change it" says. Fluid is the lifeblood of an automatic transmission. Regular is OK, and synthetic is possibly worthwhile.
Trannys are more sensitive to fluid quality and cleanliness than engines - and engines are sensitive enough. For my use, synthetic engine oil is, in my opinion, a waste. I'm considering synthetic tranny fluid.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Didn't you once recommend Motorcraft's 10/30 synthetic blend oil?

Change it at your leisure. These transmissions are known to get the shudders if you let the fluid go too long between changes. Don't bother with synthetic, you most likely be getting at least semi-synthetic no matter what you buy anyway.
El Bandito wrote:

I'm with those who say don't cut corners. Mine (97 Bird) started to shudder around 70K. Two different places wanted to rebuild or replace. Complete flush and filter fixed it and I did it again at 125K. Little over 100.00. Cheap insurance.
F.H. wrote:

I second that. I would use only the ford ATF, but maybe this is the old man in me saying this. I also added 1L of lucas transmission slip fix (not because it had any problems... but just for more security)
Mine shifted a lot smoother after the change. It used to hang in gears longer and drop a litter harder, but now it is very smooth.
I would say change it every 50,000.... i do that in my crown vic, my f150, and in my wifes civic.