automotive restoration project software?

Hi All,
Anyone have any good recommendations for software to track automotive restoration projects? Or, a web site that has a data base to track all
the bits, pieces, money and vendors relating to a car's restoration? Not too worried about cost if it is good software or a good site.
We are restoring a 67 Ranchero and other than receipts and a notebook, I got nothing! I am bound to my computer and would love to use it or a web site to track this project and subsequent ones.
Thanks!
1967.ranchero.restoration wrote:

Are you sure you REALLY want to see a total cost on this project? Better just to leave the receipts in a folder.. if you ever sell the car, you can add up the totals then :)
On 23 Aug 2006 03:22:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Very good observation. Had I looked before I leaped, I probably would have doused myself with gas and struck a match :0) LOL
--
Spike
snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net wrote:

In my own restoration project <http://www.larwe.com/scout/ , I've already doused myself in gas twice, but no matches so far.
On 22 Aug 2006 20:55:20 -0700, "1967.ranchero.restoration"

Take a look at Tom Schmidt's Mustang Page (www.vintage-mustang.com) . I think he had some listed.
--
Spike
message

I do. It is from OpenOffice.org. It is called "Open Office." They have a spreadsheet that can track all of this for you.
You should also be able to use Quicken or another financial program and track the money like a business.
Or, if you prefer to spend more money, you can get Excel from Microsoft or even Microsoft Office.
jeff

I just got OpenOffice and have not had a chance to explore it yet. What do you think of it?
--
Spike
snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net wrote:

It is my primary office productivity suite. I have written three [published] books and roughly 200,000 words of technical articles using the word processor component. I run my personal business using the spreadsheet, as well as tracking home budget, car gasoline mileage and repair costs, etc.
On 24 Aug 2006 15:55:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I guess that means you're Ok with it :0)
I got it because some people use Excel and Word, which are pretty pricey, and this was supposed to be able to read and write exchangeable documents.
--
Spike

Absolutely.
Yes. In general, documents that you write in OpenOffice.org will be close to perfect if someone loads them in Word/Excel. Some Word documents and Excel spreadsheets may not import perfectly into ooo though. MS-Office installs some fonts that ooo doesn't provide, and documents containing OLE objects (equations, for instance) may not translate properly because the original document will refer to the MS equation editor, which of course won't be installed on your system.
Ya,I am kinda stoopid that way - I guess if you are doing it as a profession, the costs matter. Individually, maybe I would end up in gas with the matches at my side... Or, my wife would have a nice .45 inch projectile heading towards me... ;-)
In any case, seems to me there might be 1 or 2 others who may actually want to track that stuff, have it in a database so it is reusable/transportable and searchable.
Good thread and lots of great ideas given so far. Thanks!
~TAZ
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

OK, not gonna waste my time and money - found this and it looks pretty good...
http://www.autoresto.com/AutoResto.htm
And, of course, a spreadsheet would be function for tracking the basics.
~TAZ
1967.ranchero.restoration wrote:

Take a look at this freeware program
Car Restore 2.5 http://www.brothersoft.com/information_management/databases/carrestore_download_9114.html
On 26 Aug 2006 09:26:51 -0700, "1967.ranchero.restoration"

--
Spike
I've seen & tried Car Restore 2.5 - leaves a lot to be desired.
snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net wrote:

http://www.brothersoft.com/information_management/databases/carrestore_download_9114.html
On 27 Aug 2006 08:07:32 -0700, "1967.ranchero.restoration"

Hmmmmm. That confused me. I looked at Woody's site and the ad there is for CarRestore2.5
--
Spike
;-)
snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net wrote:

So far I like it.
Jeff

Wise of you to keep track of things. I recommend using a spread sheet program.