average price for a 5.7 L Trition engine

Hi,
Just blew the engine on my '97 Expedition. Now the shop tells me it will costs $4500 to replace the engine, which I find a little high.
Does anyone have an idea of a reasonable costs?
Cheers, Kim

You mean either a 4.6 or a 5.4. 5.7l is the displacement of the old GM 350
Now, what do you mean "replace?" There are many options available to you. You could have your own engine rebuilt, buy a junkyard engine for them to swap in, buy a rebuilt one from a parts house, buy a remanufactured one from Ford, or even buy a new "crate" engine from Ford.
Often the cheapest option is a junkyard engine. The gamble is that the junkyard engine is good. If it's not, the yard will usually give you another engine, but you'd have to pay labor all over again.
The longest lasting repair would most likely be a new "crate" engine, but then you have to weigh whether you want to keep the rest of the vehicle for the length of time you'll need to make the extra cost of a new engine worthwhile. You also need to decide that you're going to be willing to fix anything else that fails afterwards, i.e. transmission, etc., so you can get your money's worth out of that engine.
CJB

Find someone like http://www.tbolt.net/ in your local area.
You should be able to get a junkyard engine for less than $3,000 installed in most areas.
Lynn

You can get a rebuilt engine for around $2500 (I saw them when I searched Google) with a 5 yr / 100k mile warranty). Installation is extra. $2000 for installation is probably about right.
So your number seems reasonable, if it is a properly rebuilt engine.
You might be able to shop around on the internet. I beleive there are some companies in Mexico who rebuild lots of engines and use dirt-cheap labor for less.
But make sure it is properly rebuilt with all new bearings, pistons, rings, chains, cam shaft, heads reconditioned, etc. And there should be a good warranty on it.
Jeff

Check Ebay. Used 5.4L engiens go for as little as $750.
Here is an example:
http://tinyurl.com/yazs96
Regards,
Ed White