AX4S drain and fill

this procedure is on my FSM CD, seems a little wierd to me to drain a transmission like this but if the FSM say it, it must be ok? I'll cut and past pertinent lines.

µ 8. Remove the lower retaining clip from the lower transaxle cooler line fitting. µ 10. Attach a flexible hose, approximately 0.9 mm (3.0 ft) in length, to the fluid cooler tube with the other end in a suitable, 15-quart container. µ 13. CAUTION: When the steady stream of transmission fluid stops flowing, the engine must be turned off to prevent damage to the transaxle. Engine rpm should not exceed curb idle speed while draining the transmission fluid.

Start the engine and run at idle while observing the flexible hose for

40-60 seconds until the steady stream of fluid stops flowing. Turn the engine off. This step will drain approximately 1.9-2.8 liters (2-3 quarts) of transmission fluid.
  1. Fill the transaxle with 9.5 liters (10 quarts) of Motorcraft MERCON V® Automatic Transmission Fluid X-T5-QM or equivalent meeting Ford specification MERCON V®.
µ 15. CAUTION: When the steady stream of transmission fluid stops flowing, the engine must be turned off to prevent damage to the transaxle. Engine rpm should not exceed curb idle speed while draining the transmission fluid.

Start the engine and run at idle while observing the flexible hose for 2-3 minutes until the steady stream of fluid stops flowing. Turn the engine off. This step will drain approximately 9.5 liters (10 quarts).

  1. Fill the transaxle with Motorcraft MERCON V® Automatic Transmission Fluid X-T5-QM or equivalent meeting Ford specification MERCON V®.

Start the engine and run at idle while observing the flexible hose for 2-3 minutes until the steady stream of fluid stops flowing. Turn the engine off. This step will drain approximately 9.5 liters (10 quarts).

So how many quarts does this take? Let see there supposed to be 15 in there, so step 13 says I lose 2-3. Now I have 12, step 14 says to add 10 so now theres 22 which is about 40% new. Then I drain another 10 quarts(step 15), back down to 12. Did my new fluid from step 14 stay on top somehow?

If I decide to do this, anyone happen to know the hose size? How about what to use to plug the cooler tube fitting?

Reply to
Max Power

0.9 mm is less than 1/25 of an inch. I think a flexible hose that short is called a "rubber washer" or "O-ring." Perhaps they meant 0.9 m.
Reply to
Jeff