Bad fuel guage??

I have a 91 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0 V8 and my gas guage reads over full. Now it doesn't matter if the tank is empty or full, the guage still reads the same. How do i go about fixing this? I checked the fuses and none are blown. I'm thinking it's the sending unit, but i highly doubt one of those can die overnight.

Reply to
Red Drag0n

Actually, a sender can die at any time. Sounds like you have a sticking float in the tank OR a pinched sender wire. Pull the sender wire connection from the tank to check. If the gauge needle falls, it's the sender in the tank. If the gauge needle doesn't fall, it's a pinched sender wire between the tank & gauge that's forcing a 100% ground.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Well, found out that the wires (more than 1, 4 to be exact) go from the tank to inside the car. Checked them all the way to the dashboard, and none of them broken, kinked or frayed. Then i looked into the dash and realized that the instrument panel for the guages are all electric. No cables other than 2 plugs. I then procedded to rip apart the cluster and check the fuel guage itself. Turns out that the gas guage is dying. The copper wire and all of it's lovely little doings has caused the pin to either rust or just become slow. I have to spin the guage from side to side to loosen it up so it can get a proper reading. Now i have a guage that's on it's last legs but at least with a little coaxing, it will tell me how much gas i have in the car now. Hopefully soon i can get a new guage and the problem will be finished.

Reply to
Red Drag0n