Bad window/lock switches

Ford electrical. *sigh*

Any fix for the fact that the driver & passenger window & lock switches in our 98 Windstar seem to be going? Intermittent fuction at best, maybe 10% success.

We also have a lot of "door open" indicators when all the doors are tight. Cleaning the contacts on the rear and side sliding door seems to help a bit but this last time, that trick didn't work. Ideas on fixing this?

-M

BTW - read there's a FAQ somewhere but my newserver has no copy. How frequently is it posted out?

Reply to
Mark

Mark,

The door indicator lamp on with the doors closed is usually caused by a problem with the switch located in the door/hatch latch assembly. This switch is serviceable and can be tested using a scan tool. Ford dealers have this tool. The cost of testing is approx. 1/2 to 1 Hr @ the shop rate which is usually between $65.00 and $80.00 depending on your location. You mentioned cleaning the contacts on the slider. A new contact plate set is also available from Ford.

Test the circuit/switches/contacts and repair. The lock/window concern could and probably is an effect of the door open indicator problem.

Hope this helps,

John

Reply to
PC PODD

It's probably the front door switches; use WD-40 (a lot) in the latch mechanisms. If all the door & window switches are intermittent, I'd suspect a branch connector somewhere upstream that's corroded/loose.

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

The front windows controls (driver & passenger) are dependable. The remote switches to the rear windows will work one window OK most of the time and the other will go out but not in.

Both door-lock release are buggy - the driver side is better than the passenger side. The rear door-lock release (in the cargo area) always works.

I'd take the door's armrest apart and spray the switches out with electronic cleaner if I could figure out how to get the thing apart. Any hints? I've felt all over the thing and can't find any screws.

I'll try WD-40 into the latches for the door-open indicators. Love the stuff.

-M

Reply to
Mark

-snip-

WD-40 can cause rust, according to some things I've heard. I usually prefer to buy a silicone-based lubricant anyway. Just don't use it on the engine block while it's still hot.. good way to poof,smoke,burn

Chuck

Reply to
Zex0s