Ball Joints on a 98 Crown Vic

Hi All: I have a 98 Crown Vic. The car has over 100k miles and I think that the right ball joints are bad (lower and upper). I have heard from others that this is a common problem with this car. I brought it
to a mechanic and he says they are okay. I can hear a clunk when I make a right turn. The car also handles sloppy. Had the pitman arm replaced last year because that was bad. Sure wish they'd put grease fittings on the original parts. Then again, maybe Ishouldn't expect more than 100k miles for ball joints. Anyone have similar experience.
Bye the way, I think its great to have a newsgroup for Fords.
check your wheel assy on each side. this setup is different than prior years in that the bearings are pressed into the assy. it only takes about 10 minutes to change out the whole assy. you can get the whole assy from about 65 - 75 dollars and retails for about $110.
i've bought six 98 police pursuits and over 1/2 of them had to have their front wheel bearing assy's replaced.
usually it straightens up the handling also.
if you want to check them. lift wheel off ground and check for play by gripping the wheel and the 12/6 position and try to rock the wheel in and out. if you have looseness, than they need to be replaced.
hope this helps.
~ c
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so." http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc