batterie problem in ford transit model 1997

Hi to everybody,

I have a transit van with a twin battery system. Does anybody know or the is some special electrical part in the model 1997 with twin battery system which regulates the charging and where it is located ? Second question ? what is the load in Amps for the alternator for that model ? Because i have very strange problems with this system wich worked well for 6 years. My dealer says there is nothing wrong but i measure strange voltage drop downs en, battery drain.

Thanks Marc

Reply to
Marc Veillefon

Hey Marc

I presume that you have a 2,5l TD Transit. Depending on what kind of HP rating you have the alternator will have different "amperage". I'm not sure of the exact values but the Ampere values should be written on the alternator on a sticker label, sometimes a bit hidden on the underside. The regulator is found in the Alternator but in some models there is a relay assembly in the engine compartment near one of the batterys which can also affect charge ( or discharge of battery). There was a TSB which called for a removal of certain isolation material in the engine compartment /under this relay assembly because it sucked up water and eventually caused the relay to get oxidized. Hey Marc six years is a good age for those batteries to die... if you still have the original batteries and those EPIC diesel are very sensitive to battery voltage!!! Get those batteries really TESTED under "pressure" maybe measure acid density for sure!!

Known problems with that double Battery system is that one or more cells in one of the batteries is dead and believe it or not it will affect charging as well as.... in worst case the drivability of the vehicle because the RAM of the Engine control is affected...

Before anything else though you should check the resistance of the main battery cables because I have had cases where the cables where oxidized or had a higher than normal resistance. should be max. 1,0 ohm. Check especially earth cables, esp. the one that is fixed to the gearbox/engine flansh near the starter motor. Check that they are not oxidized or loose near the connections.

hope that will help some :o) ~~~rabimec~~~

Reply to
rabimec