Battery died after going 100mph

Hi all,
I balanced the wheels, and then went up to 100 mph on an empty stretch of a highway to test their balance. Well, the balance was fine, but after I parked several minutes after that, I couldn't crank up my car.
I brought the battery to the shop, the machine tested it and signalled that it was bad. I replaced the battery and my car started fine. I wonder if I could have somehow killed my battery by going 100 mph (for a very brief time, only several seconds), and if yes, what was the physics of what killed it. Also, the battery was 6 years old.
Thank you for answers,
hitch
We'll need to know your make and year of car, brand and viscosity of the oil in the engine, and the station your radio was tuned to in order to answer your question.

It's a '99 Ford Escort, but I don't think the make matters, as the principle should be general.

Batterys die in 4-5 years or so and 2-3 years if you live in the cold. Severe vibration/shock caused by missing hold down can kill a battery. I once had a Voltage regulator on my '71 Maveric stick and fry a battery.
So unless you are overcharging due to bad regulator or missing hold down, it is just a normal failure with nothing to due to high speed.

I always thought Escorts came with "P" rated tires and were limited to 93 mph. Of course there are flashed chips and all sorts of mods. I've seen healthy batteries live through 18v charges and alternators fail after over-revs, but my guess is the battery was ready to go.
Bill
It died of joy...

You need a speed rated battery ;)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:56:18 GMT, "Shoe Salesman"

There should be an award for that comment..^^^

Once I went to the store to pick up milk, came out and the car wouldn't start. Buying milk didn't kill the battery.
Your battery is old, and old batteries die. You did good to get 6 years out of it.
Thank you everybody.