Before I weld ??

I was going to change a hub bearing on my 94 Thunderbird and when I got to the top bolt on the brake caliptor(SP) I rounded it off ,The bottom bolt is a female star T-50 and the top bolt is a male star.Well I rounded it off and have to weld an old socket to it.When I weld it on should I remove one or both battery cables ?

Thank you Inadvance.

Tom

Reply to
Wheels _63

Removing the ground cable should suffice...

Reply to
Jim Warman

It's not mandatory, but a very good idea - you don't want any power in the EFI or ignition electronics to lessen the chance of damage. So you have to reprogram the radio presets, BFD. ;-)

Before you start welding, try just heating the bolt up with a torch first, not to a red-heat glow just "good and warm" then try a wrench one more time - the heat alone may break the threads loose.

Spraying a small amount of kerosene or other penetrant on the bolt after warming it up may help too - the heat opens up the gap between the bolt and bracket, and it'll suck right into the gap.

WARNING: If you get it a little too hot the kerosene or penetrant might make a little fire too, so be ready for it. Little fire good, big fire bad.

And if you arc weld on that bracket (any type - stick, MIG, TIG) be sure to connect the ground clamp of the welder to the caliper bracket and/or the caliper itself - you do NOT want any welding current to go through the wheel bearings, you can fatally damage the bearings with welding current making little arc pits in the contact surfaces between rollers and races.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman