Belt or chain?

Can anyone tell me if all years of Taurus run a Timing Belt or a Chain?
Thanks

Donnie Shortpants wrote:

Good Question :-\ Since the Taurus/Sable was introduced in 1984 there have been 4cyls,6cyls and the SHO V8. So both might be your answer here. While most new motors use belts, it's possible that chains were on a older one/ different motor type car. I don't have my car book close by but if you check a copy of the Haynes or Chilton repair books they should have a answer for each motor used.
Donnie Shortpants wrote:

Upon further review...... The engine changes did vary alot over the production. Here is a list: 2.5 Liter Inline 4cyl HSC 1986-1990, 3.0 Liter Vulcan V-6 1986-present,3.8 liter V-6 (head gasket blower) 1988-1995, Yamaha SHO 3.0 liter v-6 1989-1995,Yamaha SHO 3.2 liter v-6 1993-1995, Duratec 3.0 DOHC v-6 1996-present, SHO 3.4 liter v-8 1996-present. Like I said, good question.........
Only the SHO 3.0V6 and the SHO 3.2V6 used Belt. All the others used Chain. The SHO 3.4V8 is not presently in production

Donnie Shortpants wrote:

i got a 93 taurus, 3.0 and its got a chain... in my taurus book it also covers the show models.. the sho has a belt.... not that my book covers all models, only the 93's... i think on older 4 cyl. models they probably have a belt like most 4 cyl. vehicles have.....