Belt Slips in Rainy Weather & Puddlesville

My 1998 Sable serpentine belt slips when I slosh through puddles at low speed, causing the alternator light to come on, failure of power steering. If I wait a few seconds, the water is slung off and the belt traction is restored and everything goes back to normal.

Is there supposed to be some kind of splash guard under there someplace to keep water from just flying all the way up into the engine compartment? I don't know if it's really going that high, but something isn't right if I can't creep through a little water without having that kind of problem. And I'm not talking about mini-Noah's Ark events. I'm just talking about maybe two or three inches of standing water at a parking lot entrance.

I replaced the belt a few months ago, which seemed to help a little, but now the problem has returned.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Yes, you need a spash guard. I suggest this Sat. a trip to the local U- pull it..

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, you need a spash guard. I suggest this Sat. a trip to the local U- pull it..

Reply to
Tiger

i got a 96 contour.. it would do the same thing.. run into a puddle and the p/s would not work at all, pretty dangerous.. especially when trying to stop and turn at an intersection when hitting a puddle.... the car was still new at the time and put it in shop the warranty took car of it.. they changed the plastic pulley to a metal one.. a different belt and also put on a two piece plastic spash guard under the wheel..... what you need to do it look for any TSB, tech. service bulletins on that car of yours to see what the TSB, number is for the fix for it and then check the car and see if it was ever done on that car??? probably not... depending on who owned it and how they drove they might never had needed the repair and never got it done???? hope this helps... P.S. auto zone has some info on TSB, tech. service bulletins on autos on their web site??? might have to pay for them??? dont know.....

Reply to
jim

[...]

In news:alt.autos.ford, " snipped-for-privacy@noname.com" posted on Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:23:41 GMT:

Thanks for the tip. I hope indeed there is some sort of bulletin on it. This is horrible in wet weather, and we seem to be getting more and more of that around here.

Reply to
Damaeus