Bent axle? Replaced tire? Fishy dealership?

Page 2 of 2
here ya go.....
http://tinyurl.com/3xnv8
a competition orange mach1 was driven off the display ramp at Tropical Ford in Orlando then later put back up for sale.

It is the "screaming yellow". If you could find that would be very, very interesting...especially if it was the one I'm now having problems with. I searched through the the corral and am not having luck on finding it but I'll keep looking.
Thanks...

I just posted the link. unfortunately it was comp. orange.
It was a longshot that was the car you bought, but you never know.
good luck with your car.
Marc
shoot...thanks though..wouldv'e been nice if it was mine that was in the picture. :(

Mr D,
I'm not familiar with a Ford window sticker but GM typically has the dealer name & address that the vehicle is delivered to at the lower left corner.
Sure dealers trade with other dealers - that's how they get rid of cars that may have been damaged, stolen, vandalized etc...If there is a local news paper story about cars damaged at a dealer, the locals won't buy there till a new shipment of cars arrive. So these cars are then traded to other dealers where there was no publicity of any vandalism ,etc...
This happened to my parents in 1991- They bought at a $36,000 Cadillac Brougham De'Elegance that had been vandalized at a dealer up north. The car was traded to a dealer 60 miles south, the dealer we got the car from.Some things wrong with the car I spotted right away, others things we found out about over the course of ownership. We still have the car and it only has 50,000 miles now.
Here is a list of some of what happened to the car prior to purchase.
1, Rear bumper was replaced with one from Taiwan. The Bumper shock absorbers pistons were welded so they couldn't move. If the car is ever hit again you'll really feel it. This we found out when the bumper was replaced in 2000 when it had rotted away completely across the full width.
2. The Passenger door was filled with broken glass. When a new window was installed the glass wasn't cleaned out of the door.
3. Glass shards found in trunk from broken rear window. Vinyl top had to be replaced too in order to replace window. Poor fitting raingutter moldings, due to improper fit of new top.
4. Radio stolen off lot & was replaced. The dashboard was improperly put back together, Visible sound deadening material & foam sticking out from dash trim panels.
5. RF Door Handle & Latch were replaced, found out they were damaged when the door was pried open. They were replaced again in 1994 and the Door handle again in 2003. The door has never closed properly.
6. There were also numerous area's of repaint & over spray on the chrome.
We were told nothing of any damage to the car when my parents purchased the car new,
Good luck to you.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 469 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Bought it with 17 miles on it... then you put another 4,183 miles on it. Don't lie & say you've never stomped on the gas... frankly I think this is all crap. It seems to me (and apparently I'm the only person so far to think this) that you bought the car... fudged it up.. and now you're expecting somebody else to pay for your mistakes. You don't buy a Mach 1 to baby it... you buy a Mach 1 to DRIVE it. I'm willing to bet that you bottomed out on a speed bump & that's how #5 took place.. the whole bent axle thing dude.. it's not going to get damaged while being transported.. and if it DID... no friggin way they'd leave it unfixed. Most dealerships make more than enough money by *not* selling crap cars. If you noticed these things from the start... or near the start... why on earth did you wait until you put thousands of miles on the car before doing anything??!!?!? You shoulda driven it directly back to them & been firm saying it was THEIR FAULT and NOT yours... but frankly I think YOU did it.. and you're trying to get outta it. Sorry for the rant, but I hate it when people try to cover up their mistakes & make others pay for 'em. And if I truly am totally wrong on this.. then I apologize.. but I just cannot imagine somebody waiting 4100 miles later to say something about a BENT AXLE.
-Mike

What a dumb email... you think shit doesn't get screwed up in transport?? I always say this about packages, mail, etc.... The two most careful people in the shipping process are the SENDOR and the RECEIVOR (yeah, i know i spellt it wrong).... everyone in between could give a rat's ass if the shit gets there in one piece. My dad bought a brand new XKE in 1969 and when they were unloading it from the ship, it fell off the crane and was destroyed. Yeah, I guess that was my DAD'S FAULT... DUHHHHH
How's this conspiracy theory.... one of the highest-ups at the dealership to ok the car one night and got really drunk... slid around a left turn as he gave it too much gas whilst showing off to his trophy wife and smacked the shit out of the curb. It's easy to do. Since he was one of the highest-ups, probably the owner of the dealership, he discreetly brought it into the shop and didn't make any repair orders... just said "Fix this shit and put in on the lot so nobody knows".... I know the dealer is not going to want to eat the cost of a Mach 1... The damage you described could easily be caused by a sideways impact with the curb.. I bent my Celica's rear axle in the snow.. I slid around a turn and new I was going to lose it.... WHAM... right into the curb. Incidentally, I have put a lot of miles on my car since then, with a bent axle. The only reason it's noticeable at all (after changing to a straight wheel) is because my rear shocks are in need of replacing. If my car was new, I don't know if I could even feel it.
MrD.... sorry bud..
When I get screwed over (last time it was by the cylinder head shop), the first thing I think about doing is heaving the item through the front window of the business with a note saying "NEXT TIME, I'D LIKE YOU TO USE K-Y"... It would be quite fun to heave a Mach 1 through the front windows of the dealership, no? :oD Of course, I'm not endorsing such behaviour... but it's fun to imagine anyway.
Very good point and, unfortunately, it's those points that have me in somewhat of a pickle as it is. It's my claim against theirs...and, maybe I'm losing. But, I didn't bottom out the car, I didn't hit any curbs or major pot holes, and I most definitely didn't get in any accident of any type that would have resulted in this type of damage. More importantly, I'm not trying to get someon else to pay for damage I caused because I didn't cause any.
Yes - I should have brought the car back in the very day I started having problems and I should have had the car inspected prior to the purchase. But, I didn't because...I liked the car and was having fun driving it. I had no idea that the axle was bent (I didn't suspect that the rubbing noise was the result of a bent axle - I just figured it was something rubbing and was an minor fix) and the strut was leaking (I'm not even 100% on what a strut is). The AC wasn't an issue because even in Houston the weather is nice between January to March and AC isn't really necessary and knew that I would drop it off to get it fixed before the hot weather came. The paint and door droop was an issue but, again, it wasn't really an issue because I assumed that it would all get fixed (and it will) and it didn't make the car any less fun to drive.
I did put 4200 something miles on it - I bought it on a Sunday and drove it up that night to Dallas which is where my office is and did it for the next three weeks after (drive up on Sunday and drive back on Friday). When in Dallas the car was always parked in the parking garage at the office since my floor has security and cameras. The next three weeks after that I was in PA at a client (while car sat in the garage at home). I was home for a week after that which I spent at home which is when I could have took the car in but chose not too since, again, I was enjoying having the car around to drive and didn't realize the extent of the problems the car was having. Then, the next week I did the Houston to Dallas trek again with the car, the next week after I flew in (again, the car sat in the garage at home), and that finally brings me to this last week when I finally drove the car back down to get the service (which actually, what was more pressing was getting the oil changed - the remaining issues I assumed were nothing major).
And, yes - I admit it: I bought the car to drive it. But, unlike some adolescent driving the hot mustang that daddy bought - I do baby it. I've always wanted a Mustang GT and when, after having dropped my wife's car at the service department, I saw this beautiful yellow 2003 Mustang Mach 1sitting on the lot I just had to have it. After haggling with my wife, the dealer, etc... I finally got the car of my modest little dreams. Have I accelerated? uh...yeah. Of course I have. I have had her up to roughly 120 (although I lied to my coworkers and told them I had it up to 150 which is what the speedometer tops out at) and that was for a very, very brief moment at around 2:30am driving up along I45 (right before Huntsville) to Dallas with no cars on the road around me and an open and straight road ahead of me. Do I punch it a lights - no. I don't want to burn through tires that cost that much. And, since I feel like I'm sitting behind a very special car (I really, really, love the Mach 1) I'm the jerk that rides in the middle lane at least 100yds behind the car in front, doing 5mph below the speedlimit going down the road because I'm actually thinking (or would like to think) everyone is looking at the car - showing her off. I've had people pull up to me at lights and rev but I don't take-em. I don't want a ticket, I don't want an accident, and more importantly - I don't want to look like the 31 year old ass that's going around racing teenagers.
It was only after I got a hold of the service dept for an update and they told me about the bent axle, leaking strut, leaking compressor, etc.... After hearing that I thought of the "did you replace the tire", the strange paint chips in the seams, drooping door, and the Mach 1 bumper not fitting and it got me to thinking that perhaps there is a history on the car that I wasn't being made aware of. I know I didn't replace the tire but according to the dealership it is different than the other three and it just happens to be the on the same wheel that has the bent axle - that's weird in itself - but along with everything else I can't help but draw my own conclusion that I may have purchased a damaged car.
Thanks for you response anyway. And not to repeat myself - it is my fault. It's my fault for not inspecting the car as much as I should have. It's my fault for not bringing it in the next day to get it looked at. And, from what I'm experiencing already - I will pay for it. I bought a brand new wrecked car and since I'm the dumbshit that didn't inspect it, return it the next day, had fun driving it, etc... I'm going to pay at least $500 for damage I didn't do not to mention the costs of whatever problem pops up.
One last thing, I didn't say it was damaged while being transported...I'm just asking what the procedures are for when that happens - like where is it logged, etc.. I don't recall saying the dealership did it, the transporter did it, or whoever (and if I did - oops. I didn't mean to). I'm just saying I didn't do it, I doubt seriously someone hit my car in the parking garage and had the tire replaced, repainted the car, and all before I got back from lunch - I'm saying that I bought a car that has some undocumented damage to it - and I'm asking for information that will help me. I'm not calling up the dealership bitching them out - I think something fishy happened to my car - but I'm not yelling at them to fix it for free. I want them to explain to me the paint chips, the replaced tire on the wheel that has a bent axle, a bumper that doesn't fit, etc.. And, I would assume that this dealership (which, on a side-note is really one of the better dealerships I've ever dealt with) would be as concerned about the possibility of this occuring as I am. I hoping that maybe the Ford rep will see something that helps me out and maybe we can find out exactly what happened to the car and not so I can sue, sue, sue...but instead to just get everything fixed on the car and to have the history on it updated (I would like to hold this car until it's a classic and would appreciate the history on it).
Anyway, if you don't believe...don't. But, can you answer some the questions I posted earlier? Do you know if the GT and Mach 1 has the same rear bumper, do you know how the tires are identified through lot, etc...

To answer one of your questions... AFAIK, tires do not have any special unique "code" or any identifier.. maybe they don't carry that specific brand of tire or something.
"One last thing, I didn't say it was damaged while being transported...I'm just asking what the procedures are for when that happens " not you... I believe somebody else or others suggested it.
Yes.. it is your fault that you didn't take it immediately to the service department when you were experiencing problems with the car.. and this mistake has a costly price. Sorry, but you dug yourself into a hole...
-Mike

Tires do indeed have all kinds of codes, including a serial number. Have the dealer run the serial number and the manufacture can tell where and when it was made, to whom it was orginally sold etc.
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Tires bear a DOT number. Most of the characters on a tire are raised; the DOT number is relieved. Most tire places will record the DOT number on the RO any time new shoes are mounted. I would suspect this number bears a unique identifier and could be traced back. If the tire is indeed 'odd,' and you get lucky enough that the guy who mounted it didn't forget to scrawl down the number, then *somebody somewhere* should have a record of that tire on an RO for the car's VIN, unless the wheel was carried in. In that event, the RO should still have the purchaser's billing information.
Dealerships do indeed swap around cars. Particularly specialty cars that bear a high sticker price, or those that -for some reason- are straggling on the lot, in an attempt to move the inventory by exposing it to fresh eyes.
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 11:10:18 -0700, BigJohnson wrote:

Marky wrote:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/TireSafety/ridesonit/brochure.html
basically, it a 11 digit number. Like DOT H2 MW YAU 3701
THE FIRST two (H2) would be the plant code The next two (MW) would be the tire size the next three (YAU) are manufacturer specific these are probably going to be the most use to you the last four (3701) is the date code.
Bob
When a vehicle is damaged in transport:
The dealer has a right to refuse it, or get a credit on it. Plus the cost of repairs.
Why do you think the dealers have people that check in the cars when the truck comes in, and when it's a late night delivery, the cars are dropped off pending signed invoice.
I worked in a dealer body shop, and this guy bought up all the transport damaged vehicles he could get his hands on, he sold them at a reduced price, and still made a killing!
Refinish King

But weren't you the least bit concerned that there might me a safety issue with brand new car that's shaking and making noise? Sounds kinda foolish to me.
nospam

Sorry to keep posting on this thread and kicking a dead horse but I have one more question that is bugging me:
Is the rear bumper for the Mach 1 and GT different? They look the same to me but I can't get detailed specs like mount points, dimensions, etc... And since the car is still at the shop I can't just step outside to look for myself. Does anyone know? Reason I'm asking is because the dealership said they ordered a Mach 1 bumper but it didn't fit and so they ordered a GT bumper that did fit. The service rep said that the parts book just listed the part number wrong or, and I quote, "something like that"...but I'm still somewhat suspicious of this. If they are different then maybe that would show that the rear end was changed/repaired/serviced/etc...
BTW, as an update: after calling up-the-ladder they are bringing in a Ford representative to look at the car on Monday. Hopefully this "expert?" will be able to discover what happened. I'll keep updating if anyone is still interested...
Thanks again for the responses...

MrD wrote:

It had 17 mile on it when you got it. Could it be a sales man took it home as a demo? Then wrecked it and had it fixed under the table without the dealerships knowledge?
Those tires are probably not real common. I would check out who sells that exact tire locally. Then try to find out if the shop shows a special order or sale of one only. Maybe by the moulding numbers you can determine whether the replacement was a OEM or aftermarket tire. I would try to find out the same info from the dealers parts department if you can find a mole. What about the rim? Chances are if it bent the axle and destroyed the tire the rim was trashed too. That's probably a factory only part. If you can find out what ford dealer sold or ordered only one rim and like tire your on the right track.
Bob

Since there is a law that requires ALL replacement tire SN be registered back to the tire company, perhaps the manufacturer of the tire would tell who registered the tire (if they did). If it shows the selling dealer registered the tire and it's not an OEM factory SN it would suggest the dealer is lying (wouldn't that be a shock...)
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:22:37 -0600, BOB URZ

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

I don't understand why they are willing to replace the bumper and repair the door but not the axle.
-- Michael Culley
Going with the following assumption: Owner did not wreck the car.
Somebody did. If the axle is bent, the rim was destroyed or repaired. Trust me, I've hit enough curbs in my youth. Liked to slide sideways with the parking brake on. However, I never did any damage to the frame when this happened. If it did frame damage, they were going faster than 60 mph sideways. I hit a curb at 50 and bent the axle and rim w/ no other damage.
Trace the tire numbers. That will be one of your biggest clues you will be able to find.
Are you sure this is a factory Mach I? If it was damaged in shipping, could another dealer have had a damaged Mach I in worse shape and then traded the car to another dealer?