Best and worst gasoline in the US?

It would be interesting to see the comparison between how many BTUs come in as natural gas versus how many BTU's go out after all the reprocessing of it.

Reply to
AZGuy

What's to weep about? Oh, you must mean the huge federal subsidies that are underwriting this highly inefficient method of vehicle propulsion. Since you are such an expert, why don't you get us the figures on how much energy it takes, per mile of vehicle travel, when you include all the upstream events it requires to get this hydrogen into the fuel tanks of these cars.

Reply to
AZGuy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, AZGuy jubilantly posted:

> makes it clear that the distribution was not liquid.>>

The article mentions mixing hydrogen with CNG in some instances. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, AZGuy jubilantly posted:

How about doing your own research .... o' lazy one. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Neo jubilantly posted:

In case *your* memory is weak, only Mazda made Wankels work in production ... which is all that matters. (NSU, Hercules, Suzuki, Norton and others not withstanding.)

Nobody's ceramic coated combustion chambers and pistons ran without water, air, or oil cooling beyond a brief test of the concept.

Scarcely a drop in the bucket compared to social welfare entitlements and education. California is up-side-down $36 Billion all by itself, let alone these few Federal examples:

Details of 2003 budget requests from various Federal agencies:

Commerce Department - $5.3 billion NOAA - $3.3 billion Department of Defense - $379 billion Department of Education - $56.5 billion Department of Energy - $21.9 billion Health & Human Services/FDA - $1.73 billion HUD - $31.5 billion Department of Interior - $10.6 Billion State Department - $25.4 billion Department of Transportation - $59.3 billion Veterans Administration - $58 billion EPA - $7.7 billion

Reply to
Philip®

What's a "Wenkel." I've owned a car with a Wankel, but never heard of a "Wenkel."

And if you want pipe dreams that were unstreetable, you'd better aim at the turbines from the '60s and '70s. They even had prototypes of a Corvette turbine as well.

I just checked, and a web site claims that the Miller-cycle engine is a Comprex engine. Another listed turbocharged engines as "Comprex." It seems that there isn't even a standard definition I could find, but the ones that mentioned "Comprex" all had references to engines that did make it into mass production.

I'd never heard of "Comprex" before, but I find it ironic that someone that misspells Wankel twice (even after someone else uses the correct spelling in a post they respond to) insults someone else for their vocabulary.

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

Can you read prototype?

No, I mean engines with ceramic block and head! Go do your homework and get back later.

A drop of a billion is still a billion wasted. No, thanks.

Reply to
Neo

So, you want to be picky? How about writing it right in your sarcasm, like WÄNKEL?

A pipe-dream is always a pipe dream.

Then read it over. A Miller-cycle engine requires a pressurized charge, whether it's through a turbine propelled by the exhaust gases, a supercharger or a Comprex device.

Again, sharpen your reading skills or lose the ignorant references you've consulted.

It sure did, for a couple of years in a handful of Diesel engines, primarily.

And I find it ironic that someone who's never heard of somthing thinks to be knowledgeable about it after reading a couple of web pages about it...

Reply to
Neo

No _liquid_ hydrogen involved.

Low pressure liquid hydrogen... it is to laugh.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Why bother? If you have natural gas or methane, just use that instead.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

*snicker*. I'll believe the problems with seal and rotor tip degradation were overcome AFTER the new engine has been on the road more than a few years. This is just marketing hype.

Anyway, the rotary engine simply doesn't get you a big overall advantage over piston engines. Mazda uses the design as a product differentiator, mainly.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

I never claimed to be knowledgeable about it. I just reported what I found. It seems that your reading comprehension is about as good as your knowledge of the Wankel. You've just been spouting that everyone else is wrong, but provided no information. Please define "Comprex" or at least point us to a web site that does explain it in the manner you like..

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

Without any critical thinking...

Just point in any of my postings in this thread your evidence is for this statement.

Not everyone else, just you...

Do your homework yourself.

I picked Comprex as an example of a hyped technology that was touted as the next greatest thing with no compelling evidence or even contrary evidence, as fuel-cell nowadays, which is just nowhere to be seen today. If you can't understand this and insists on picking how to spell this or that or how this or that technology really works, start another thread.

Reply to
Neo

IIRC, Chrysler were going to release a turbine, and scrapped it *DAYS* before introduction to the North American market as a condition of the loan the US Gov't gave them. Apparently, the serious problem with a turbine was heat dissipation, and they had that solved as well. No, I'm not one for conspiracies, but I certainly could see the USA telling Chrysler to stop with these technologies lest GM and Ford whine about how the USA were funding new technology rather than supporting an American company.

Too bad. I'd love to see something the size of a Neon (or Metro!!) getting ~250 BHP, burning the greenies favourite ethanol

Vuarra

Vuarra

Eventually, the sources of the hydrogen may change, but the actual fuel would remain constant. One infrastructure from production to use. The only things that change are up to the production.

Not that I think that is or is not sufficient, but I'm just answering your question.

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

Yeah, right. As if I had to... Those who know about it don't need any information...

Cry baby...

Reply to
Neo

Considering that the boiling point is -423F @ 1 atm and the critical point of H2 is -399.93F @ 190.8 psia, how can it be anything else?

I am interested in the subject and if you can give me a reference or two concerning non-cryo LH2, I really will read them. Paul.

Reply to
Frank

Don't forget the 'air cushion' vehicles.

Reply to
Helmet Head

The "Wankel" engine (NSU's) is licensed to Mazda and is re-appearing in the new Mazda RX-8. Comprex compressors: " . ..pressure-wave supercharging (trade name: Comprex) applies exhaust pressure directly against intake air within the honeycomb-like passages of a rotating drum. A belt from the crankshaft is used to spin the drum. Opel and Mazda both used the Comprex approach for diesel models not imported to the United States." Useful inventions. Use Google. Marketplace competition usually gives the win to the simplest, cheapest, most-reliable and most robust ideas. If one (or more) of these criteria isn't met .. . it falls into the realm of "exotica" . .. an unsolved problem looking for a solution. As James Burke describes in his many books (e.g. "Connections"), a "good idea" often finds adoption in a completely different application. Often, we can't live long enough to connect the dots .. .

"Helmet Head" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@library.airnews.net...

Reply to
Bill Freeman