Best fords?

Hello! First posting here. Can anyone tell me what the best Ford(s) were? I looking for a reliable Ford and one that isn't high maintenance. It would be a plus
if it had good gas mileage. If you could also give me a few Fords to avoid, it would be very helpful. Include engine size and type, please. Thanks.
Statesman
Statesman wrote:

Consumer Reports likes the the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan, both the 4- cyl and 6-cyl versions, and says that they're among the most reliability cars, up there with the best Japanese vehicles.
CR also rates the Ford Focus very highly, but they say its reliability is only average, and its city gas mileage is sort of low for cars its size (friends have told me the same). The 2-door hatchback model is very cheap now.

?? CR 2007 Top Picks for 2007 doesnt even have an American car on it. As for the Fusion, Im sure its a nice car but CR says the Honda Accord is it's pick.
Consumer Reports Top Picks for 2007
a.. Fun To Drive: Mazda MX-5 Miata b.. Small SUV: Toyota RAV4 c.. Small Sedan: Honda Civic d.. Family Sedan: Honda Accord e.. Minivan: Toyota Sienna f.. Luxury Sedan: Infiniti M45 g.. Midsized SUV: Toyota Highlander Hybrid h.. Green Car: Toyota Prius i.. Upscale sedan: Infiniti G35 j.. Budget Car: Honda Fit

A lot of people have had the Ford Contour and Taurus go for well ove 100,000 mi without problems. There are lots of Ford F-150 on the road with well over 100,0000 mi as well.
jeff

If gas mileage is not your primary concern, the Crown Vic is about as good as it gets. The Contour Mystique is a dependable car, but NOT a cheap car to maintain, particularly the six.The 4 needs timing belts etc meticulously maintained.I own one ( a 6) and love it, but if I had to pay for all the service and repairs I would not be happy. The latest Escorts were excellent. The laterFocus was not a bad car, but the early ones were trouble prone. The jury is still out on the Fusion et al - too new to have a real record for reliability, but looking pretty decent.

I have a contour v6, and its well over a 100k's with not a lick of problems, aside from a failed impeller on the water pump. <clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message

100,000
over

plus
please.
well

Well, mine failed the water pump, sucked the intake gaskets out (lower intake, of course) Lower inner control arm bushings (remove subframe to replace, according to manual - I managed without) split rubber hose on IAC, and bad connections - particularly on Multifunction switch (center brake lamps worked, normal ones did not). Also, the doors lock and unlock as you drive - have not sorted that one out yet. Transmission pan gasket leaked - MAJOR job to replace. Reciever for A/C rusted through under the mounting strap - PAIN to replace.
It's got less than 150,000 km on it.
The "best" of British and German engineering, american assembled. I love driving it - hate fixing it.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't understand, are you praising this vehicle? Doesn't sound like you should be if you are ;P
Picasso wrote:

I used to own a Zetec 1995 Contour. Even if it had an automatic Tranny, it was peppy for its size, and I absolutely loved the handling, cornering and seat comfort in that little car. (I find the seats in my Grand Marquis not as confortable).
Driving fun wasn't the problem with that POS. Maintaining it was a real pain. Engine head quit on me, had the engine swapped, tranny went dead, kinda fixed it for a while by refilling it and having it drained, to have it die on me on the highway 2 months later. It's now either a small metal block, or part of new food cans :)
The Mondeo is really nice to drive. Too bad they Americanised it for the Contour/Mystique. They should've kept the same stiff suspension and tight steering. Might even had given Honda Civics a ride for their money.
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!