Bias Against Domestic Cars

Page 8 of 8
Canuck57 wrote:

Really? You mean like all those banks who returned all the money they got from the gov't already?
Add pictures here
βœ–

The new Chevette will be a Tata. It's called "outsourcing"
Add pictures here
βœ–

Did you ever OWN a Firenza??? I did. Quite possibly the best dollar for dollar deal I ever made, and I got more for it than I paid for it when I sold it about 6 years later, and the new owner drove it at least 5 more years. It wnt to the scrapyard looking basically as good as when I bought it, because we could not get a required part for the steering rack without ordering it from Britain.
That car was virtually trouble free - the only "GM" vehicle I've owned that I could say that about with a straight face. I DID service it as a British car - which means it DOES require regular minor maintenance.
Add pictures here
βœ–

c> Did you ever OWN a Firenza??? c> I did. c> Quite possibly the best dollar for dollar deal I ever made, and I got c> more for it than I paid for it when I sold it about 6 years later, c> and the new owner drove it at least 5 more years. It wnt to the c> scrapyard looking basically as good as when I bought it, because we c> could not get a required part for the steering rack without ordering c> it from Britain.c> That car was virtually trouble free - the only "GM" vehicle I've c> owned c> that I could say that about with a straight face. c> I DID service it as a British car - which means it DOES require c> regular minor maintenance.
HMM,
I bought a brand new Firenza in 1969 and sold it after less than a year. It was a total POC which left me stranded on the roadside on several occasions. No fun in 20 below, I can assure you. The car had a so called "high performance" engine. With the accelerator floored it had trouble mainting 50m.p.h. up the slightest incline.
Cheers,
Indrek Aavisto
--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult. W.S. Churchill

Add pictures here
βœ–

outside of a yugo I never heard of a auto that bad. what were the problems, out of gas what?? How many times, don’t just make statements just to troll.

Add pictures here
βœ–

The front engine/rear drive Vauxhall Firenza produced in England and sold in the 1970's is not the same front engine/front drive Oldsmobile Firenza produced in Mississippi and sold in the 1980's. Although they shared a name and parent company, I don't think the Vauxhall version would normally be considered as "domestic" in the U.S.
Some food for thought: in the context of a vehicle sold in the U.S, are these cars "domestic" or something else?
1970's Mercury Capri, produced in Germany Late model Ford Crown Victoria produced in Ontario, Canada Chevrolet HHR produced in the U.S. with 65% parts from Mexico but labeled as 85% domestic content because GM averages parts from larger SUV's How about a Camry produced in Kentucky with 80% domestic content vs. a Ford Taurus 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO, produced in Australia Pontiac Vibe produced by NUMMI in the U.S. vs. Toyota Matrix?
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Mine was the 2300 engine ( 1972) which I switched to dual carbs and it towed a heavy "rainbow" tent trailer to Sydney Nova Scotia and back, and climbed mount washington without ever going below second gear - It was no race car, but it's performance was decent and it NEVER let me down except for when the timing belt broke just south of Sydney in 77? when it was almost 6 years old. Fixed it on the side of the road. The clutch pedal gave out about 2 or 3 years later - the part was only $7 - and it failed in such a way as to warn me before it became undriveable.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If the five year repair cost ($800) is less then $161 a year is it really realistic to call something a "clunker"? And do they take into account how much less that "clunker" might cost to buy compared to their favorite import?
After looking thru the article I agree it's rather striking how they padded the "top 10" with the same vehicle under two names.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:42:54 -0500, "C. E. White"

Add pictures here
βœ–

That's like saying you're biased against having piles of human waste in your living room.
Bias is simply bias. In this case, enough people came about the bias honestly.
Fuck the UAW and the crap it puts out. Fuck the Big Three and the crap they put out.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:42:54 -0500, C. E. White wrote:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/11/clunker-cars-repairs-lifestyle-vehicles-clunkers_slide_2.html
I am now on my 4th 1992 Grand Whatever (this one is a Caravan) and it has 239,000 miles on it. It has some grunts and groans, but overall it's in fairly decent shape for it's age and mileage. A freah shot of paint on the hood, and a good wash and wax and I wouldn't be afraid to park it anywhere.
I knew when my wife bought our first 1992 (regular) Caravan in 1994 it was a decently made vehicle. They suffered tranny problems because of soft pieces in the trannies, but once that was corrected they turned out fairly well.
My '94 LHS was also a decent car, and I wasn't afraid of driving it anywhere. And no trans problem at all in that car.
Add pictures here
βœ–