"Black Plastic Engine Cover???" Lincoln LS

My son just dragged home a 2000 Lincoln LS8. Of course he never checked the engine compartment.

I opened it and added some fluids, etc. Noticed a black plastic cover atop the engine that is held on in three places by some sort of black plastic bolts. Two of the three bolts are missing. It appears totally "dress-up" meaning I don't think it really serves a purpose.

I assume we can just remove this thing totally, or would it be better to buy replacement fasteners from our local Ford dealer -- who incidentially is some 45 miles away and in a direction I only travel once a month or so...

Reply to
timbirr

Any decent auto parts store (ie: NAPA) has those for a few cents.

Of course you could probably throw it out, but if you ever sell it, the buyer may throw a hissy fit if it's not there.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Maybe its so simple folk don't get too overwhelmed when popping the hood.

Thank you ford for covering everything except the windshield wash reservoir and the fuse panel.

Reply to
Picasso

it is strictly a pretty it up doodad.

Reply to
Tom

Don't be too sure - they do not spend money on engineering, making, and installing stuff like that without a /really/ good reason.

It's probably there as added noise damping, and/or to channel cooling air across the top of the engine because they were cooking the plastic intake manifold, or something equally as stupid.

If the dealer fasteners are too expensive, design an alternative. Good hardware stores have various sized bolts with plastic handwheel knobs molded on top - three of those with the appropriate Speednut on the mounting bracket, and it's neatly (and cheaply) fastened down.

Take the one bolt you have left into an Ace or True Value, or a good auto parts with a Dorman or Motormite bolt bin, and see if they can match them.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I suspect the primary purpose of this shroud is to reduce NOISE... not just for appearance sake.

Willy

Reply to
Willy