Bleeding Ford ABS brakes

I've got a 1997 Expedition with 4 wheel ABS. The vehicle has been plagued with a spongy brake pedal. I've followed the basic old fashioned brake bleeding procedure of open bleeder, depress pedal,
close bleeder, and also tried vacuum bleeding the wheel cylinders. Nothing gets rid of the spongy pedal.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion I've got air trapped in the ABS pump unit. From what I've read, to remove that air, I have to somehow cycle the ABS motor. I know that Ford's NGS scan tool has that ability, but rather then take it to the dealer, I'm curious if there is another way to activate the pump.
The Ford NGS tool runs about $2000, so that option is out, but I wouldn't mind buying a lower cost scan/diagnostics tool if it has the ability to read codes and run the ABS pump to fix this current problem.
Any help is appreciated from the Ford experts.
Joe
MUST be done with the (a) scanner!
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; I've got a 1997 Expedition with 4 wheel ABS.&nbsp; The vehicle has been<BR>&gt; plagued with a spongy brake pedal.&nbsp; I've followed the basic old<BR>&gt; fashioned brake bleeding procedure of open bleeder, depress pedal,<BR>&gt; close bleeder, and also tried vacuum bleeding the wheel cylinders. <BR>&gt; Nothing gets rid of the spongy pedal.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I've pretty much come to the conclusion I've got air trapped in the<BR>&gt; ABS pump unit.&nbsp; From what I've read, to remove that air, I have to<BR>&gt; somehow cycle the ABS motor.&nbsp; I know that Ford's NGS scan tool has<BR>&gt; that ability, but rather then take it to the dealer, I'm curious if<BR>&gt; there is another way to activate the pump.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The Ford NGS tool runs about $2000, so that option is out, but I<BR>&gt; wouldn't mind buying a lower cost scan/diagnostics tool if it has the<BR>&gt; ability to read codes and run the ABS pump to fix this current<BR>&gt; problem.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Any help is appreciated from the Ford experts.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Joe</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=