Blown Escort engine

I have a ford escort 1993 'L' with a blown 1.4si engine. Can I fit any other ford engine besides a 1.4si? Will I have any problems if I don't fit the original engine size. And where can I get a replacement in the UK cheap!

I'm from the US. However, a 1.4 liter engine is very difficult to fix or rebuild. You will most likely have problems if you don't fit the original engine size. I'm not sure where you can get a replacement engine for cheap in the UK. Try looking for a replacement at a junkyard. That would be my best bet. Here in the US, you can many auto parts at a junkyard for cheap.
~CyberWolf